How do I get my son to stop putting his fingers in his mouth?

My son had his front 3 teeth pulled, and ever simce then he puts his fingers in his mouth. I'm not sure what I can do to get him to stop. Any one who can help it will HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ouch! I would say teach him about germs. Im not sure how effective this would be but its worth a try. Tell him how many nasty things are on his hands and they will be in house mouth and it can make him sick. Things like that.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• i have no clue other than pull his fingers out of his mouth when you see him doing it. its a new feeling for him. i am still trying to figure out how to keep my son from putting his finger in his nose lol.
    nurbabe82

Answer by nurbabe82 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• ok at walgreens they have this stuff in the baby isle and it looks like finger nail polish its like 5 dollars and u put it on there thumb if they r sucking it pr nails if biting its safe i use it and it works it gives them a nasty taste try it out...
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I would just not bring any attention to his doing so. Let him be, it is probably a comfort thing or the missing teeth feels funny and sucking on his fingers relieves some kind of pressure or pain.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• if the extraction is fairly new then he is probably curious, as i am sure it feels funny and look silly. It may feel good to massage the gums. I would let him do it for awhile (if it is new) if not then maybe explaining to him about mouth buggies and that is why we brush our teeth. If is finger are in there he might bring HIS buggies to his family. Give him an alternate option like a washcloth or something.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 12:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2009