When did you start putting rice cereal in your baby's formula?

ABryn1011

Asked by ABryn1011 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• since when did one baby become the prime example on exactly how to parent? I just love sahm with phd's it truely is a miracle they made it through med school....I get so completely annoyed with women....saying...never...why would you do that....its a choking hazard...what a bunch of bull....noone knows the one right answer to anything.....I am so tired of narrowminded, never learning for themselves, always going with the grain...stupid women.....cereal is not void of nutrition, especially if it is recommend to have 2 servings daily....my ped recommended putting cereal in my DD bottle when she was 2months because she had severe acid reflux...when she was 4 months we fed it to her with a spoon, and and 6 she only eats it for breakfast....for the love of God people....please stop staying that just because your baby didn't do it it is not ok!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Never.

I did make him rice cereal with breastmilk around 7 months.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 8:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• 4 to 5 months. But i know people who did it way sooner just to get the baby to sleep better
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• With my 1st DD it was around 3 weeks but it was under her pediatricians recommendation to try and control her reflux. I wouldn't do it any other way, it's just empty calories IMO.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• with my 1st i did it at 3 months with my 2nd my ped told me not to put cereal in her bottle. cereal was to be served with a spoon. So at 3 months we started with a spoon. seemed to work just fine
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• The way I see it, if a baby can live and thrive on breastmilk alone then why would you put cereal in their bottle? It's hard on their little system. JMO
    Anonymous

• Hello...I started to feed my daughter rice ceral at 3 months from a spoon...she loves it and we have a great meal routine now......my pediatrician said this is a good way to avoid her becoming overweight at 6 mths since formula can be more fatening....I have followed his advise and I am really glad i have...he recommened not giving formula from a bottle....this has worked incredibly for us.....good luck :) :)
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 9:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I started putting cereal in my daughter's bottle at 8 weeks, her last bottle for the night. Her doc said we could do it starting then. I only do it at night , for her last feeding. She is now 9 months and we still do it. You have to get a nipple for thicker liquids. My husband had the bright idea of trying to make the holes bigger in the nipples we already had, and he destroyed every one.
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• ONLY do this if the doc recommends it. Know that it doesn't make them sleep...they sleep better despite what you do rather than because of it and the best way to get baby to sleep is to pay strict attention to their personal sleep/wake/.tired cycle. It won't resemble anything in a book.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Never did. It's a choking hazard and cereal is kind of void of nutrition anyway.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009