Florida car seat laws? Can someone clear this up for me?

Let me first say I'm already getting the Graco Nautilus for my DD so it's kind of moot but I'd still like clarification on the law.

It is just not meshing in my brain or something. Do kids have to be in a car seat until 3 or 4? Does it even have to be a car seat (or the harness system) or can they just be in a booster once they hit 3?

I'll post the link in a reply.
What I gather from this is that they have to be in a car seat/harness until age 4, then a booster until 5 and 40lbs AND 4'9.

Am I right? or confused?

Thanks.

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 8:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Florida laws SUCK...technically they can be out of a booster as soon as they outgrow the harnessed seat...under age 5 have to be in a carseat..boosters count as carseats in this law, which means at age 5 a child could be in an adult seat belt...seriously scary scary stuff.

It says children under age 8 SHOULD sit in a booster BUT its not law they HAVE to...under age 3 needs to be in a carseat, age 4-5 can just be boostered, after that NOTHING is required.

Florida is THE only state without an ACTUAL booster law...Texas just got their booster law in September
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Link to where I'm reading the law.

Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Once they hit 4, if the regular seat belt fits well, then they do not need a booster. If it does not fit right, then a booster is required. Up to age 3, they must be in a safety seat (car seat).
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I had a similar question about the laws in my state and the car seat group was great at helping me.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Sounds like from birth to 3 they must be in a seat that has harness straps (toddler seat or booster with harness straps) or can use the integrated seats (like my mil has in her van...they fold down from the middle bench seat). At 4 they can move to a booster if they are big enough and have to be in a booster until they are 5. That is it. Then it recommends to keep them in a booster until they are 80lbs or 4'9". But that sounds like a suggestion and not part of the law.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Thanks, that's how I was reading it but could they make it less clear?

:)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Call your local police or sheriff's department and ask them. Every state has different laws and some have recently changed. I live in Wisconsin and the law is 8 years old, 80 lbs or 40 something inches (I forgot), they have to be in a booster seat until those requirements, starting at around 4 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Tabi_cat I think you cleared that up for me. I wasn't sure by the way it was worded that a booster counted as a car seat, it kind of sounded like it did and now that makes sense. DD is not even 3 yet and is nearly 40 lbs and is quickly reaching the top of her car seat already. That's why I'm going with the nautilus but it was so confusing when I was looking into this for the past few months. Thanks everyone!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2009