Breast pump question!

Which did you use and would you recommend it? Manual or Electric?
Thank you ladies!

Also, I used the Playtex double breast pump with my fist child and although inexpensive, IT SUCKED. The first 5 times it did really well, then it lost suction power and eventually the motor died.

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 9:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used a Medela double electric and loved it. It is a bit more expensive but was very easy to use, came with a carrying case so I could bring it to work and did a very good job!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 9:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I used a manual, but then I didn't need to pump. It was only for occasional use. I did a lot of research before I bought, and with breast pumps it seems like you get what you pay for. A cheap electric will not be worth the money! I ended up buying a moderately priced manual (which was the same as the cheap electric ones)! It's a Medela.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I have an Lansinoh double electric and absolutely love it. Manual or electric depends on your needs. If you are going to be pumping a lot I would recommend going with an electric. Just occasionally the manual would be fine (I prefer the Avent Isis personally). Best of luck!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Medela anything and you are pretty much golden. If you are a SAHM and only need it occasionally then a manual is what you need. If you pump more then you need a single electric. If you pump every day, multiple times a day then you need a double. You really get what you pay for with breast pumps!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 9:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• electric, medela makes 3 great models, pretty expensive (250 and up) try craigslist and ebay for used once models, or you can rent them from most medical supply companies out of the hospital you deliver in, manual is a joke, i had the playtex one from walmart - about 40 bucks and it really didnt have the power to do the job.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Depends on what you will use it for but you can never go wrong with Medela, Lansinoh or Ameda pumps...any of them..avoid playtex, evenflo, gerber and most fo the others...Avent makes an ok manual.

If you plan to work or REALLY need to pump get a double electric, if you plan to just stay home or with baby most of the time think manual or single electric unless you find a GREAT deal.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I used the Medela Pump in Style. It is a double electric pump. It cost a lot, but was very worth it when my twins were born preemie and I had to pump for a month while they were in the NICU. I have hardly used it with baby #3 since she won't take a bottle. It was used once or twice a day with the twins for 12 months (3 years ago) and I have used it occasionally with the new baby and it is still going strong!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 12:13 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I rented a Medela Lactina with my 1st and a Symphony with my 2nd (from the hospital). It was pricey but still cheaper than formula and since my kids never really did well/got much at the breast (long story, nipple issues, etc) I pumped full-time for 2 and 3 mos, respectively. The *only* way my kids got my milk was from those pumps, I highly recommend trying that first (your insurance may even cover or subsidize it? ask at the hospital/birth center).

I liked that the symphony was quiet, reasonably easy to adjust, and, well, sucked, in the good way. :) I never used a setting beyond 50-60% capacity and still got plenty of milk. Good luck with a successful pregnancy/birth/feeding experience.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 12:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I definately HIGHLY recommend Medela anything! I have a single manual that I prefer to use b/c it feels better (in the sense that it is gentler and I am pumping) but I also love my double electric b/c I can just sit on the couch and watch tv and it does it all for me! It was a big expense at first ($250.00) but I've used it with two children...no formula at all. So it has more than paid for itself!
    I've also heard that some insurances may pay for part of it. So you may want to check that out!
    tennisgal

Answer by tennisgal at 1:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Wow! My DD just had her 3rd Baby. Her new born first DD is almost one month new! But she's had problems with every breast pump she's had! Its very Sad. For some great reason she had her milk last the longest with her preemie, first born. Then with her second baby her milk dried up quicker! We'll see.. So Far with her new born. She broke her manual one. She got a used Medela one and that broke too! Since most of the year her DH has been laid off and she's out of work. She can't afford any thing else! So if any Brand of pump has an extended Warranty plan. It may be worth the money! Go fo it! I wish you the best of Luck with your personal right choice!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2009