Am I wrong?

My MIL always wants to come pick up my son (6months old) and take him to her house (1 block down the road) to visit and play well i have told her numerous times not to feed him baby food over there bc i just would rather him be here and he needs to be in a highchair and i told her not to feed him more than 6 oz and she feeds him 7 or 8 and then he spits up all night when he gets home and he sleeps way too much over there so im no longer allowing him to go over there w out me or hubby if she wants to see him she can come over here

aidensmama8

Asked by aidensmama8 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow...I can understan why u r upset....grandma feel that they know best...have your hubbie talk to her if she is not repecting ur wishes....if not then I would react the same as u....good luck
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 9:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I can definitely understand where you're coming from and I'd feel irritated as well but if you want to handle this gracefully, a certain amount of tact is required so ill feelings don't get formed. She's probably just playing the part of the spoiling grandmother and may not realize that her behavior has such consequences. I would explain the way you're feeling and why in a polite but direct way and let her know that although you appreciate the relationship she and your son share, your rules need to be upheld. I would also speak with your husband about how you feel and what you plan on saying before approaching her so there's no picking sides going on if things get sour.
    Eau_Rouge

Answer by Eau_Rouge at 9:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• you are the mom not her. what you say goes.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• No, you are NOT wrong.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• You are not wrong.
    Anonymous

• next time breast feed then he cant go any where without you and youll always know whats in his belly :)

I can not believe people just let their 6 month olds go off...even if it is Grandma???
    Anonymous

• No way are you wrong! I refuse to let my son go or stay anywhere without myself or his father present simply for this reason. I have learned the hard way that there is not one single person on this earth that I can trust and I never will again. May sound sad to some of you, but it is so true!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• No, you are not wrong. Family should respect your wishes as the mother of your child. (Provided you aren't harming your child, of course.) It drives me absolutely bonkers the amount of stuff my MIL and the other grandparents try to get away with and HIDE! I say no tea to drink and I bust my MIL giving him a damn cup full of freakin sugar and caffiene loaded tea AFTER I had to listen to her complain about how her mother used to always give her son (my LH) tea in his sippy cup. How's that for being a hypocrite? THEN the other grandparents were hellbent on giving DS soda....It makes me uber-defensive. I swear on my life I will not be that kind of grandparent! I let him have treats but when I draw the line I mean it! Sorry to rant, but I understand where you are coming from. Why would she want to overfeed him and ultimately cause him discomfort because of it?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I agree with some of the others. I don't think you are wrong for doing what you are doing. I've been in your position. When my oldest was born and learning to eat adult food, she would feed him sweets regardless of if he's eaten or not. She has cupboards of every type of candy you can imagine.. even to this day. My kid STILL come home with junk..
    Good luck...
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2009