Do Adults Get Ear Infections?

i know it sounds silly, but do they? also, how do you get one? ive only heard of children getting them.

reason im asking: i woke up w/ a lot of pressure in my ear that i couldnt get out. i tried yawning, chewing gum, & the hold your breath & push method. nothing worked. my DH thought it might be from too much ear wax so he irrigated my ear for me. it worked for about 6 hours, but now it has come back & hurts more than before. it doesnt hurt too bad, just kinda annoying, like a mild headache. any advice?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 10:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Health

• Yes, adults get ear infections too and you get them like any other infection. I had one so bad that I couldn't hear out of one ear. I think they hurt worse as an adult than as a child. If you think you have one, do NOT fool around, call the doctor and get checked out. Untreated ear infections can cause damage to the ears.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Oh, yes, adults get them. I've had them! Usually if I've had a sinus infection.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• yes adults do get them. maybe from wax build up....ur jaws will hurt also if u do have a ear infection
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• YES! I took an ex-boyfriend to the emergency room once because of an ear infection... first time I saw a grown man cry.
    Anonymous

• Yep. For me it's usually the next step for nasty sinus infections.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Sure do. I've been on 6 different antibiotics since this past December for a recurring one. I have more problems with them now than when I was a child. I'm in so much pain at the moment and want to rip my ear off!
    Anonymous

• ABSOLUTELY! My mother just had one following a sore throat and sinus infection, it was in her inner ear. It caused such bad vertigo that we took her to the ER to have a CT scan to make sure it wasnt some kind of tumor or stroke. She could barely walk for nearly a week. Finally, they put her on some steroids and meds for the dizziness and she is fine
    Minimelda

Answer by Minimelda at 11:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Yes! I had one a couple years ago, so bad all I wanted to do was sleep.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I have ear infections all the time its the worse!!!
    ilovemyaj

Answer by ilovemyaj at 2:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2009