WeightLoss Surgery before or after baby?

Hey Ladies, I have a 1 yr old DS and have gained a lot of weight since he was born, plus I was already overweight when I got pregnant. I'm about 120lbs away from my goal weight. Anyway, I'm considering weight loss surgery, the Gastric Sleeve to be exact. (My Mom and MIL have had it with a lot of success) But I want to have another baby in about 1 1/2-2 yrs. Is it safe to have WLS then get pregnant again? My DS was a C/S baby, so my future births more than likely would be too. I want to be healthy before I have another baby, but is it better to wait until after I've had all the children I plan on having??

Any advice would be helpful!

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • I personally think you should have to surgery now and once you get healthly have the baby. It's much easier to carry a baby in a healthly body than one that is 120lbs over weight. I've done both and the skinny pregnancy was much much easier.

Good luck to you deciding on the surgery. Hope it goes well for you. I am obese also and have thought about it. So I'm really interested in your story. Keep me informed; pm if you like.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with the prior poster assuming your doctor says it is ok - I think I'd discuss it with the doctor that will do the surgery as well as your OB before making a final decision. I was at a good weight with my 1st pregnancy and overweight with my 2nd. The 1st pregnancy was SO much easier on me. GL!
    Anonymous