WeightLoss Surgery before or after baby?

Hey Ladies, I have a 1 yr old DS and have gained a lot of weight since he was born, plus I was already overweight when I got pregnant. I'm about 120lbs away from my goal weight. Anyway, I'm considering weight loss surgery, the Gastric Sleeve to be exact. (My Mom and MIL have had it with a lot of success) But I want to have another baby in about 1 1/2-2 yrs. Is it safe to have WLS then get pregnant again? My DS was a C/S baby, so my future births more than likely would be too. I want to be healthy before I have another baby, but is it better to wait until after I've had all the children I plan on having??

Any advice would be helpful!

trl30

Asked by trl30 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Wait until you're done. You are supposed to go at least 18 months after surgery before you get pregnant, but no matter how long you wait, as soon as you get pregnant you can consider yourself to be done losing. By the time you're done with the pregnancy your body will be through the adjustment phase and you'll absorb more.

It also adds a whole new dimension to morning sickness (or as I preferred to call it breakfast lunch and dinner sickness). I wish I had waited longer - I got pregnant as soon as I was allowed after surgery. I was back in my pre-pregnancy jeans at my very first doctor's appt after he was born, but I never lost that last 30.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I had the gastric bypass surgery in Aug of 08. I got pregnant in April... Not even a year after my surgery. Im now 8 months pregnant and ive only gained about 11lbs. My Baby is healthy. The doctors say he is huge and growing well. I would do it. If I could change it I wouldnt. I feel better with a lot of my weight gone. Im sure once I have my baby i will lose all that ive gained and then some
    Anonymous