What happened to Halloween?

I was so upset today. My husband and I went to the store to buy halloween stuff and some scary movies. The store had one aisle dedicated to halloween and already had four isles for Christmas. The horror movie section consisted of about eight movies, while there was a huge display for the Christmas movies. What happened to halloween? Is anyone really having fun on this holiday anymore?

meluvja

Asked by meluvja at 10:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Holidays

• I went early this yr to get Halloween stuff because it's usually gone so fast. We love it, scary stories, a nice walk through town, and the fun of pretending. It's not all about candy. Our kids are limited to what they get to have, and it's not a competition on who gets the most candy... It's a fun night of family time and I want our kids to have good memories of their childhood that involve the Holidays, all of the Holidays....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Not too sure what you are referring to. Walmart has their usual section dedicated to Halloween, as well as every other store I have been too. To me, we could just skip this holiday all together. No kid NEEDS candy. I usually put my Christmas Tree up that day. I like to pretend it doesn't exist.
    Anonymous

• What I'm referring to is that we keep skipping holidays and going straight to Christmas. My favorite holiday is Christams, but usually by the time we actually get to December, everyone seems to be burnt out on that special day. I just want to know if people still celebrate halloween. Most people I have talked to is saying that they skip it.
    meluvja

Answer by meluvja at 10:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Don't know, don't care, we don't acknowledge the day if we can help it. And out of character for myself, I enjoyed walking through the huge Christmas display at Menards with my mom & son the other day.
    Anonymous

• I know what you mean, it seems like its not the way it used to be. I remember when most neighborhoods used to be packed with kids trick or treating, now I hardly see any. Most of them trick or treat at malls now.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Halloween is our FAVORITE holiday. Forget Christmas. Forget the "good cheer" and happiness. We like the scary, the macabre, the jack-o-lanterns. We carve jack-o-lanterns, go trick or treating, put up decorations, and go to every haunted house, hay ride, etc. possible. It makes me SO angry that we skip straight to Christmas. I honestly HATE Christmas. By the time it comes around, I'm sick of it! We put up a tree... and a couple presents, but its no big deal. We're Pagan, so Samhain (Halloween) is our biggest holiday- celebration, revelry. Yule (Christmas) is about family, and togetherness. Awaiting the return of spring, the celebration of the birth of the God.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2009