Is it ok to give my 12 month old Whole Soy Milk?

My baby girl will soon be a year old and has been on Enfamil Gentlease. She has been on it since I stopped breastfeeding her at 4 months =( and had to switch from normal Similac to it because at the time she got constipated.

Whenever I try to give her anything with milk (ie: a little mashed potato with milk, mac and cheese, etc) she gets bad diarrhea. Once its out of her system she is all better. She eats home made baby food and just about anything we eat at home. If she were severely allergic to milk or dairy I am thinking there would be a worse side effect. My guess is that she just doesn't tolerate it well but is not severely allergic. Would it be ok to give her Whole Soy Milk? Has anyone had this experience before?

Mamana24

Asked by Mamana24 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, my ds has a milk allergy. He gets bad stomache cramps and diarrhea or constipation. I switched him to soy and he's great. He's 8 now and loves soy milk for everything. You could try a little cup of soy milk with her to see if she likes it and tollerates it well. You'd know pretty quick. A way to get a little one used to it is to mix chocolate ovaltine with it for some yummy and healthy chocolate milk. My kids love this!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I used dairy ease and lactaid with my kids because that is what happened with my kids with milk products. Dairy ease and lactaid works wonders with them.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• When I tried to switch to Cows milk at a year, my daughter screamed after every serving. I stopped and put her on Soy Milk instead and it seemed to fix the issue. Soy Milk is very nutritious...it has more vitamin D, Calcium, Protein than Cow's milk with less fat and cholesterol. Plus, you can buy the organic kind enriched with DHA. I recently read an article, however, that Soy naturally contains a hormone very similar to estrogen. It acts like estrogen in your body and some people have had hormone related issues because of it. No conclusive studies have shown any harmful side effects, but now that my daughter is older, I'm attempting to get her back to Cow's Milk...she's at about half and half right now with no issues.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I was mixing ds formula with whole cow's milk at 11 mos. By 12 mos I planned on going to all cow's milk. He has been on regular formula since day 1. Around the time of his b-day he started getting a rash. It finally got so bad I took him to doc. They had many theories, but nothing worked. Finally they took some blood and found out he has a milk allergy. He's been on Soy ever since - he's 13 1/2 months now and drinks it just fine. He seems to really like it - and NO MORE RASH!! :)
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I'm allergic to soy and it's a pretty bad allergy (been tested) and sometimes when I eat soy all that I get is diarrhea. So, you may be wrong in thinking she doesn't have a severe milk allergy. My poor niece was on regular formula her whole first year and then was tested to discover a severe milk allergy. Her only symptom while drinking the formula was constant fussiness.

With my soy allergy, I'm really scared to offer a kid under age 2 soy at all. It's a great alternative to those with a milk sensitivity, but soy is a legume like peanuts and is actually a very common allergy.

You could try rice milk. Walmart sells calcium + vitamin D fortified rice milk (in the baking isle, it is not refrigerated until opened). And I have never heard of any one being allergic to rice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:13 AM on Oct. 12, 2009