When did you realize that you always knew what was best for your child regardless of your previous experience with children?

I was terrified when DS was born. I really had only the barest of experience with babies and had only changed about 3 diapers in my life, none of the dirty. I didn't know what I was doing and felt so clueless. By the time he was a week old I recognized his cues, knew when he was hungry (even though people would argue with me all of the time), tired, uncomfortable, etc. There were still times I would scratch my head, but ultimately I believe no one knows their child like his/her Mommy. We are usually the ones that they spend the most time with and are therefore most intune. Within a couple of days I knew I didn't like the way MIL changed his diaper even though I had only done a handfull in comparison to her thousands. When I changed him, it didn't leak, when she did it, it did. She also caused his umbilical cord to become irritated with over cleaning because she wouldn't just listen to me......Anyway, I'm just ranting now...

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I took to motherhood like a duck to water. I have made plenty of mistakes over my 24 yr career of raising children. For the most part I think I did very well. I give advice when solicited, and keep my mouth shut when not. Every mom feels they know what is best. All you can do is mind your own business and do what you feel is best for your kids.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When he survived to teenagehood. LOL!!! He is alive, happy and healthy. I won't know how good I really did until he is on is own and has a family of his own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• This really leads me to another question.....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Does anyone ever think that they always know what is best? LOL. That would be impossible and very conceited and unrealistic.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I read your other question just now. I think you have issues. Like the pp in your other post said. you should be thankful you have a MIL who wants to help you. Perhaps you should have a sit-down with her..you just might learn a thing or two about what a grandchild means to her. Yes, this is your child, and ultimately, what you say goes, but you might want to let go of that chip on your shoulder towards her. I"m sure she means well.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Lindalu2, you must be a grandparent, lol. Seriously, I didn't think anyone would take offense or take that so absolutely literal, BUT, yes, in general, I do know what's best for my son.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Good luck with that. ;-)
    I had three kids and now I have 5 grandchildren. I'm not perfect but my kids really appreciate me and know if they need me,I am always there. They tell me if they disagree with me and I try not to be offended. LOL. But we cooperate.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Yes, I admit I have issues. Yes, I am in progress of working on them and have come MILES from where I was at. Is there not one lone person in the crowd that could possibly empathize with me? Just a minute, teeny, tiny little bit? I love this woman dearly! She means the world to me! I tell her this on an almost daily basis, but I don't think there is anything wrong with having my wishes respected and adhered to in relation to one or two little things when I let everything else under the sun slide. Why weren't the other mother's that posted similar questions that prompted my own given anything other than support but I'm having a bad night and not even one of you can even mildly relate? I thought this was a safe place to vent. I can understand everything ya'll are saying and I even appreciate ya'll putting it into perspective, this is why I keep my mouth shut in 99% of circumstances in relation to her, but can not one of you at
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• least throw an "I understand what you are saying/where you are coming from BUT" in there? Geesh.......
    WindyTheWidow