Seperated / Divorced Moms who Breastfeed-What do you do when its his turn?

I am separating from my husband-we have 2 daughters-one of whom is almost 2 months old and pretty much exclusively breastfed with an occasional bottle of pumped milk. Should I pump enough for the time that he has her?(Saturday afternoon to Sunday evening) Can I pump enough for that amount of time? Should I supplement with formula? Are any of you in a similar situation and if so what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• You can get to a point where pumping that much is the norm... but it takes time. I'd imagine it will take a while to get a court order on visitation... that will give you time to build up your supply.

In the mean time, I simply wouldn't agree to an arrangement where he'd have her that long. He really shouldn't have issues with it ---- it's her ONLY FOOD & until his boobs start leaking milk, he really doesn't have much to say about it.

I'd say have him pick her up immediately after a feeding on Sat, send one or two bottles with him (whatever you can make) - that will give him a good 6-9 hrs, then he has to bring her back. He can pick her up again on Sunday for as long as your supplies will sustain him.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I would say try to start pumping a supply to have on hand to send with her. Talk to your husband and see how understanding he may be of the situation at hand. He may surprise you, you'll never know until you try at least.

Maybe you can rearrange the agreement until you are pumping enough to feed her for that amount of time. Maybe throw out the overnight and add in a couple short weekday visits for the mean time.

I would suggest against keeping her from him without an amicable agreement because that can and most likely will come back to haunt you in the long run.

You may want to check out one of the breastfeeding groups because they may have tips to get you pumping enough sooner.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You need one ounce per hour of separation. I'd start pumping tomorrow morning, pump one side, baby on the other, every single morning from here on out.

And don't be surprised if he decides it's not worth it to take the little one for that many hours in the beginning. He might just go for a short visit with the infant and a longer period with the older child...men and infants don't seem to mix real well. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2009