To wear pants or not to wear pants?

My 22mo old has recently decided he hates wearing clothes. Perfect timing since summer is over! We've had major tantrums over getting dressed or putting on pj's and I don't know what else to try. The clothes aren't too restrictive or uncomfortable, and I tried giving him options so he feels more in control of the situation, but am totally stumped. Any ideas?

MommaEm27

Asked by MommaEm27 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hahahaha....sorry, I can so relate....my middle son was a "nudist at 2. I would dress him, and he would slowly (sometimes not so slowly strip and leave his clothes wherever he was. He was buckled in his car seat one day, when I saw his shoes go out the window as we drove down the 14 Freeway......who knows where they ended up, I 'm lucky I didn't get a ticket.

I know I'm not much help, but I can commiserate......and there is hope, my son is 20 now, and generally keeps his clothes on!! (Although I do occasionally have to tell him he has to wear a shirt to the dinner table.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• I had the same problem with my 3 yo last year. He would even remove all his cloths in the car and I would have to redress him when I arrived where I was going. I wish I had some advice to give you but I tried everything and nothing worked. He did grow out of it but There was nothing I could do about it at the time.
    Anonymous

• sometimes letting my two year old pick out her outfits and giving her lots of praise like oh so cute, pretty girl, nice dress, it's better to have some crazy outfit on then a crying fit. lol hopefully someday our kids won't all meet on a nudist beach. =o
    piperscloset

Answer by piperscloset at 12:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• my DD would ratehr be without clothes :) he usually doesnt have any pants on lol my house stays fairly warm currrently so i usually let her go without any pants on :p but as winter approaches that will change
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 1:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• DD started to hate getting dressed around 18 mos. We found a book called "Fuzzy Bear Gets Dressed." Now, at 23 mos, whenever she starts fighting it, I recite the book to her, and get her engaged ("We pull the shirt over the head . . . BOO!").

Another thing that helped was explaining to her why she had to get dressed. I tell her if she wants to go outside (she LOVES to go outside) she has to get dressed.

Both of those helped me. Good luck :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• This is simply a power struggle. When I have to go out and need my DD to be dressed, I just hold her down and force the clothes on her when all else fails. If she makes it overly difficult then I put her in time out. After a couple time outs, she usually says "ok, I get dressed now mommy."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2009