Why is it that grandparents seem to want to defy you at every turn?

As in I say no to tea or soda, but he can have all of the whole milk, diluted pure juice or water he wants, and still I come home to find she has been giving him tea and also discover a sippy cup full of Simply Raspberry Lemonade which has only 11% juice in it with the rest being sugar. Or I allow him to have a little frozen yogurt here and there and discover she gives him a bowl full of it every night she keeps him after dinner. Here was my almost breaking point....Last week I had an appointment set up for DS at the Ped that I couldn't reschedule and I had a literal emergency (friend in the hospital) so I allowed MIL to take DS to the Doc for me. Almost three hours later she isn't back home because she has taken him twenty minutes in the direction opposite of home to "fill my car up with gas" and take him on a tour of all of her friends and has him in a restaurant, yes, he was drinking darned TEA.....con't...

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Are you people kidding? Ha, this is so funny. I do love and appreciate her. She practically lives with me for crying out loud. Why don't some of you drop the anonymous buttons, I would respect you more. I think she is a fabulous Grandma, the best! Am I not allowed to have my say on CM like everyone else? Should I have posted anonymous, too? I pretty much let her do whatever she wants so if I ask a couple of things of her, specifically, what is wrong with that? Not a darn thing! S
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Let me just say that I have issues with other people driving DS (his Daddy died in a car wreck) and it is a phobia of mine. EVERYONE that has ever ridden with MIL or witnessed her driving talks about what a bad driver she is. If it hadn't been an emergency, I wouldn't have let him in the car with her. She had the opportunity to earn trust with me by taking him to the Dr and then bringing him back home. Instead she drives a roundtrip total of over 40 minutes out of her way to "Get me gas" and take him on the tour.....Oh, wow, I'm ranting again....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 11:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• look..if you don't want her to 'help', unless its convenient for you and on your terms, you shouldn't expect her do help do anything. you can yak all you want about what you allow him to eat and drink, and she probably adheres to your 'rules' most of the time, but allows extras, too. she's a grandmother, for goodness sake! is she endangering him with a little extra sugar now and then? turning him into an addict? you said his dad/presumably her son was killed in a car wreck...let her be this boy's grandmother! geez, lady...many children should be so lucky.
    Anonymous

• She sounds like a nice grandma to me. Some day after she has passed away, will you wish you had appreciated her more? Do you think you are being just a little to picky and too hard on her? You are lucky you have a grandma nearby. My kids missed having grandparents because we were a military family for 21 years and couldn't live near any family at all. Yogurt and tea won't hurt him. Just relax.
    Anonymous