• In the Spotlight:

Concerened about recent symptoms in 3 year old

Recently my son has been complaining that he is tired and always thirsty. He gets plenty of sleep during the night and takes a nap if he wants/needs one. I give him a varity to drink durning the day but limit sugary drinks, mostly water (flavored or not). This is just very sudden. We had a similar situation with the thrist at 2 and his blood sugar was tested and came back normal. Does any one have any advice on this? I am just concerened on how quick it came on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It couldn't hurt to get his blood sugar tested again to be on the safe side. I know excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes. And if that's not it then maybe he's just going through a growth spurt. Who knows. It could be many things.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Have his iron checked. My son was always thirsty. I would catch him often with his head under the faucet drinking. Low iron causes tiredness. He's on an iron supplement now and we have to make sure he is actually drinking enough water.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Get his blood sugar checked again. If it's a slow onsent of Type 1 Diabetes it can be hard to catch. My son started having problems about a year before Diabetes hit him hard and he was diagnosed. I wish I had been more educated and insisted on a glucose test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2009