Hives, cough, runny nose, a virus?

My daughter has had a runny nose for almost a week. Last Thursday, about 1am she woke up with a fever. I gave her motrin. When she woke up in the morning she had hives. The doc said she prob had an allergic reaction to the motrin. Yes, she got benedryl. Thurs. night another fever. Sat. night hives again, but not bad. Today she had a bad case of hives. Some on her spine were about the size of a dime. My friend said it's a virus, her boys had the same thing. Anyone else hear of something like this as a virus? I am taking her back to the doc. I need to make sure. She has never had hives before. But she is more prone to getting sick then the rest of us. I just haven't heard of a virus acting like this.

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Oh, and she has never had a fever like this. That once she got the motrin/tylenol, it goes away. At least until the next night. But usually the fever comes back when the meds start wearing off. I HATE new sicknesses like this!!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• Look up Roseola and see if the symptoms match. It is very common in infants and young children.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2009

• No, not really. Her fever goes away with one dose. But did come back the next night. This whole thing is like a vampire virus. It shows during the dark hours. The images I saw for roseola didn't look like hers. She had closer nit patches, some were raised. And she's almost 8. But, there are exceptions! IDK. I'm taking her in on Tuesday. Unless the hives come back worse. Then it's the ER.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Something that she is in contact with at night is causing a reaction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yeah, but nothing is new. And she was in different places when the hives came out. I just don't know. No one else has it. She hasn't eaten the same thing each time. Different clothes. No soaps have changed. It's just strange to me.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Many kids get hives or a rash when they have had a fever for a few days. It does sound like a virus to me also.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Did you recently turn your furnace on? Sounds like an allergic reaction. My son had this happen once after we thoroughly cleaned the house. Lots of dust flying around. He had to go on steroids to clear it up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My daughter developed some hives after she had a fever. When I took her to the ER for her fever and vomiting, the doctor said hives is a reaction to a high fever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Oct. 12, 2009