I was doing everything right- why did she leave?

I run a home day care in my basement. The set-up is beautiful, new toys,equipment the works. Everyone has told me it looks like a real day care center. My first family came in and I took great care of their daughter from 6weeks old -6months. I charged her $100 p/week. After the price went to $200 p/week. She stayed for 2 more weeks, then told me she was going to be a sahm. I told her that was great. then after about 2 weeks, I called her job and found out she lied-still working! The husband is at top position at his job , and so is she. So they really could afford $200. They even said it was well worth it. I provided them with updates throughout the day, and infant activity sheets- gave her loads of motherly GOOD advice. On top of that I did my job extremely well- the great granparents, and grand parents have witnessed it. Where did I go wrong? Why do you think they left?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, doubling the price is big. That's $800 per month, which is a big chunk of money. I'm not sure why you would call her job after she left. Maybe she found another place she liked that was more affordable.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Maybe they are just cheap?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Sorry to say it but your price was to steep for them. They probably found a cheaper daycare. Not everyone is willing to pay 200$ a week in child care.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• There's really no way to tell. It might have been financial - what was the reason you bumped up their fees? Just because people are making a lot of money, doesn't mean they HAVE a lot of money, KWIM? They might not be great at money management and they could have found somewhere cheaper. Or maybe they found daycare through friends, family, etc or just someone located more conveniently for them.

Try not to beat yourself up over it - you're running a business and people will come and go. There may also be families that YOU decide have to go. It can work both ways. It doesn't necessarily mean anyone is doing anything wrong, but it's just not a good fit for a particular child/family.

The other thing that sticks out is that you're giving them "GOOD advice" was it solicited or did you just offer it? Remember, they're the parents, and unless they ask for it, it might not be appreciated.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 12:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Well, I think where you went wrong was doubling the price after only 6 months. I would have left you too. She probably just didn't have the heart to tell you the real reason why not wanting a confrontation. I wholeheartedly agree with the last paragraph of "six on my own"
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• its not in your place to say they get payed good so why cant they pay you 200,when people have more money they usually have more bills and more burden to carry,maybie they cant afford it or maybie they can but wish to take their kis somewhere way nicer if they will pay that much,it sounds like yor totally worth it but try convincing them,and how do you know she is not telling the truth,she could have planned on being a SAHM but now she cant and she cant even afford paying what your asking for,so it could be so much dont take it as if they are evil ,your great but maybie 200 is way too much
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I am a daycare provider and honestly doubling your price is like committing suicide for your business. $100 a week is about the going rate for a full time in home daycare if you wanted to make changes to your pricing i would have switched to an hourly rate but then it can get tricky and you can end up losing money.

Also one big rule NEVER give advice unless asked, most moms already feel bad enough being away all day and to have their daycare provider advising them how to parent even if well intended can hurt. The only time it is okay to offer advice is if there is a on going problem or something you noticed that is new and you ask the mom about and she ask what works for you.

I have a little girl i have been watching since she was 3 months old, now at 15 months she is like my own, but i always let her mom take the lead even if i know a way that works better with her. its a tight rope you have to walk carefully.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• In a way it's actually a compliment that she lied to you. If she thought you were a bad provider she would have told you loud and clear. She didn't. You jumped her bill up and she didn't want to hurt your feelings and tell you it was way to high. So she saved an argument with you and went to another provider who probably was way less.

For your business reputation, having a child's family leave because of it costing too much is a far better reason to leave than because of actual care problems.

I once had a mom leave me when I did daycare because I sent her son home to her when he was brought in puking his guts up. They never called me to say they weren't returning, they just never came back. I felt bad but I wouldn't chance a virus spreading.

Good Luck with your business!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Why would you double your price? If you needed more income you should have found more kids to take care of or you should have increased your price a LITTLE bit... not by 100%. There's no way I would keep my daughter in a daycare that did that to me, whether I could afford it or not, and let's face it, they probably have tons of student loans, credit card and other debts to be paid, along with a massive mortgage and car payments... just because they make a lot doesn't mean that they have an extra $400 to pay out in child care every month.

I had my daughter in a daycare center/preschool and for infants they charged $18/day. That's a little less than half what you were charging. I know the rate is different in different parts of the country, but I could barely afford what I paid... I wouldn't stay with someone who doubled their price. I can almost guarantee that's why they left.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Just being honest. Doubling the price, giving motherly advice, calling her work for updates. personally I would not want to pay that much money for day care that's out of a basement, I can pay the same at a facility, I wouldn't want to hear anybodies advise, I know what's better for my child and people advise is just annoying, and calling my work for updates is just unacceptable, if I want to know how things are going I make the call to you and not you my work. Sorry if this sounds rude but that's just my opinion

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2009