Anyone know?

Im a bit confused.....when talking about years.....refresh my memory....what do the B.C. and A.D. stand for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• B.C.- Before Christ
    A.D.- Anno Domine
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• They actually rarely use those anymore because they are about 3 years off. Now they usually used BCE before current era and CE current era. Its also more politically correct in an age where there is more mixed heritage in schools.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OP here..... I knew Before Christ. What does Anno Domine mean? Thanks btw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OP here. I found it on Wikipedia. And the reason I wa asking was because I was working on my assignment for my history class and it occured to me that I didn't truly know what AD stood for.

And, must not be too politially incorrect because the edition of my book was just printed this year. If it was that big a deal.....wouldn't they have changed that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• BC Before Christ
    AD After Death

BC- Birth Control

AD -Another Day '

LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• B.C.- Before Christ...
    A.D.: Anno Domini means in the year of our lord....

Commonly used now...

B.C.E- Before the Common Era
    C.E.- Common Era

It's actually not that big of a deal that a history text book would be affected. Not too many people get itchy crotch because wow, I have met so many who didn't know what BC or AD meant. If you are a History major, you may run into more use of B.C. or B.C.E or there are these two others that some archaeologists are using that I can't remember right now.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• whether BC/AD or BCE/CE is used depends on what is being studied. in my anthropology classes we use BCE/CE, but in english and some history classes we would still use BC/AD. It's a change that is still debated and in transition.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I knew that BC was Before Christ and that AD was After his Death, but I didn't know about any of the Common Era information. Thank you for educating me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I have never heard of Common Era before...what's next? If this is supposed to be the land of freedom of religion then why are we beating all sings of religion out of everything? Dont shit on my Christmas and I won't spoil your spell casting. Good luck with your paper, who knows what is right and wrong these days, no matter what you are bound to offend someone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 12, 2009