Trying for my second baby... first time at a planned pregnancy. Help me figure it out.

The first day of my period was on Sunday, we made our first "attempt" on the following Saturday. My period had been finished for at least two days. Do you think it's possible to get a conception? The tips say you ovulate on day 14 after your first day of your period. But could be fertile on day 10 and sperm can survive for a week! Maybe!? Crossing my fingers too soon, I know. But it is exciting like no man can understand! haha.

aklebeyers

Asked by aklebeyers at 1:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think you've conceived. I'd say there's a 99.999% chance you didn't.

I think a week is like the absolute longest sperm can survive... 2-3 days is more what you should expect. Sperm need favorable conditions to survive for very long, such as fertile cervical mucus, which is slippery and stretchy. It kind of looks like a raw egg-white. Tends to be present 2-3 days before ovulation & gone the day after. You could try tracking your cervical mucus and/or taking your temp orally with a basal body temperature thermometer every day when you wake up to track your fertility. It will help you a lot with figuring out exactly when you ovulate. I'm no expert and honestly haven't done either of those myself, but I've got baby fever and have been stalking some TTC forums like a crazy woman lately. :)
    aeon_elyse

Answer by aeon_elyse at 1:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I forgot to add, not every woman ovulates on day 14. That's just an average based on a typical 28 day cycle. Hope all that helps!
    aeon_elyse

Answer by aeon_elyse at 1:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• check out fertilityfriend.com, there are some videos on there that can help you figure out when you are fertile, if i'm not mistaken. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think you were too early...keep doing it this week and next.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009