Can a landlord refuse to let a tenant paint or hang anything if it's not in the lease?

My brother and sister in law are expecting their 1st baby in March and they want to paint the baby's room and their landlord refuses to let them. She also told them they can't hang anything on the walls. Can she do this if there's nothing about this in the lease? I think this is a bit extreme. Especially if they paint it back and cover up all the nail holes. We live in Washington State.

heidio175

Asked by heidio175 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I didn't paint my sons room because we would have lost our deposit.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with mrs. coop.
    If they want to keep their deposit they shouldn't paint the room. it doesn't matter if they re-paint it before they move. If they mess up in any way he can still keep the deposit.

As for the hanging thing ...i do think that's a bit extreme.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You have a right to hang pictures. You have a right to full usage and enjoyment of your rental BUT, painting another color is prohibited unless you intend to let them keep the deposit.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Take a look at the WA Residential landlord and Tenant Act (RLTA). It specifies what can and cannot be done. WA is a very liberal state when it comes to tenant righs, and if you're in Seattle, it's even more liberal. There are advocacy groups in the King County area that can answer your questions.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• the paint no but the hanging thing do what u want they cant stop u i agree with itsmegig69
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 3:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes, you don't, afterall, own the house. The landlord does. resulting in a bit by bit deduction in repair costs from your deposit determined by the landlord. If he wants to charge 35 bucks for each nailhole he can, and will. I would.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• None of my tenants are allowed to paint unless they are doing a "rent to own".

The houses I rent out come furnished with all the pictures already hung. It's very modern. If you don't like the pictures, then don't move into the house. Period. Therefore, I do not have a million extra holes in the walls when the tenant moves out. There is enough mantle and built in shelving space to hold your family pictures, no holes in my walls.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 9:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• They can ask if there is a difference between using finishing nails verses screwing and other larger types of hanging methods. One place we went to allowed finishing nails only so that the holes were minimal and nothing huge was mounted to the wall. I've heard of removable wall stickers for children's rooms. They might want to look into that.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No painting but you can buy the stuff for walls that don't use nails.
    Anonymous