Breast pump

My sister handed down to me her Medella breast pump. It's a really nice electrical double pump which she paid a good amount for.
I've heard that it isnt advised to use other people's breast pumps but my question is why?

Is it because of passing on communicable diseases? If so, I know for a fact that my sister is the only one who used this pump and she doesn't have any diseases.

Any thoughts?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its just health wise . Just not to smart to use someone elses.
    I think tho if it is your sisters and she is the only one that used it then it should be fine,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Just use all new tubing and accessories and you shouldn't really have anything to worry about. If memory serves, I bought mine used. In hospitals, they give you tubing packs to attach to a publicly used machine. If there was that much of an issue, they would not allow moms to use that with babies in NICUs....which my twins were in. Everyone would have a brand new pump....which doesn't happen....and doesn't need to, since we all used fresh tubing.

Let go of any stress about it and enjoy your new baby when he/she arrives (if not already here)!! :o)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with halfpint. The Medela pumps all use membrane tubing so milk doesn't come into contact with the parts of the actual pump so the risk of cross contamination is very, very, very, very low. There's nothing wrong with using your sisters pump.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2009