SO DH is calling today to have our cable and our home phone turned off.

We're trying to think of ways to cut back big time. This weekend we spent hours working out a way to get us out of debt in 5 years. We have student loans that are killing us. Plus fixing to have to buy new vehicle. Anyway, we're having cable and home phone turned off b/c they're never used. We can't have internet cut off b/c DH takes online classes. We have cell phones but only have the bare necessities on them. What are some other ways to help us cut back and save? Anything helps, whether it's a few dollars or 100 dollars. BTW, we're trying the Dave Ramsey idea. I'm hoping it works!

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I applaud your efforts for doing what you can now to save for a debt free future. I agree with what has already previously been stated. However, I do want to caution you against being so frugal and depriving yourself and family of things too much. Not everything you do has to be expensive, there are ways to enjoy what you do now or other things too and not pay alot of money. Working hard and never doing a little something for yourself every now and again will make it seem like your working for nothing. Balance is the key. Don't go overboard but if you know that you need a trim or you're invited to a wedding/party and you need a new dress for the event, plan ahead, bargain shop and pay in cash but do allow yourself simple pleasures in life. My tip is to search your local papers for fun family things you can do for free or next to nothing and then plan ahead to either eat at home before or afterward; better yet pack

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• go to ehow.com Its the best site for anything you want to know how to do
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I had my home phone cut off, but I don't know about the cable. I live alone and think I would go crazy. But if you can do it, thats an excellent idea. Cutting out eating out is also a great way to save money. I only eat out maybe once a week, if that much, and I always try to go cheap. If it's a special occasion or something then that's ok, but eating at home and packing your lunch is a great way to save money. Good luck!
    jillisue808

Answer by jillisue808 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Coupons help but only for the stuff you normally buy. Also a great site for freebies is: http://www.shop4freebies.com/

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Don't eat take-out or go out to eat. We did it for years when we were trying to get by.

Use the public library for books instead of buying. (other than school books and books that you need to have.)

If you can condense into fewer rooms, close off the extra and don't heat (other than enough to keep pipes from freezing and so forth.) We moved both young children into the same bedroom in the winter and cut the heat down in the other room. We also closed off the dining room, and cut the heat down in one of the bathrooms that wasn't used for bathing.

Quick showers- get wet and turn off the water, soap, turn on the water and rinse quickly, turn off the water- saves heating water.

For watering plants, I saved the cold water that came from the faucet when I wanted warm water for hand washing, etc. Otherwise that cold water just goes down the drain.

Not very elegant things, but they saved a few dollars.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Little things...

Stop buying household cleansers. I spend about $2 every six months on a big bottle of vinegar. Since you cut it 50/50 with water it really does last forever. Windows, mirrors, counter tops can all be cleaned and dissinfected with it. And a $1 ever couple months on baking soda. For the really tough stains I mix baking soda with a little bleach to make a paste, leave it sit for a minute, and it comes right up.

Go to www.slickdeals.net. and watch the 'freebies' forum. Sign up for anything that you use on a regular basis. I've gone a couple of months without having to buy feminine hygene products because of my stock of freebies. Samples of shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, and deodorant are abundent, too. It won't elliminate the need to buy them, but it will stretch out the time between purchases.

Sign up at vocalpoint.com. I get coupons for free full-sized products (cont.)
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:05 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• or the product it's self, from them all the time.

Shespeaks.com has different programs that send you free products. Though they can be few and far between.

Buzzagent.com is a word-of-mouth advertising site. If you get into a campaign they send you the product and a bunch of coupons to give out to friends. It's a bit of work, but one good campaign can make it worth it.

None of these things save you a lot by themselves, but when you start putting it together the savings really add up!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:09 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I would say bargin shop and clip coupons. Only buy things where they are on sale. Garden! I have a garden that we eat from about half the year. I freeze and can the things I grow. If you don't have tons of room grow things in containers. You can grow just about anything in a large pot. Google container gardening for ideas. Buy produce when it is in season and freeze it. Don't go out to eat, don't buy convience foods, things from scratch are so much better, not to mention cheaper. Don't buy coffe on the run, make it at home and take it with you. Turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater. Try to group errands so the are close to one another to save gas. Recycle, it saves on garbage bags and is good for the environment.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:26 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If your internet is cable they may not let you turn the tv off - because they can't. We got away with it for a year because we had a dish and didn't even know the tv was turned on, and then we had a rather nasty visit from them trying to upsell us and telling us no matter what we would be charged the minimum for basic (it's only about $20/mo).

Also, try the grocery game. https://www.thegrocerygame.com The first month is free, and if you read the message boards in detail, you'll learn enough in that month to save hundreds on your groceries/cleaning stuff/etc even if you don't keep the service. If you do keep the service it will still pay for itself. Even if you don't want to try it, watch their Hot Tips message board. All year long, all the members post every good sale and coupon code they find - as Christmas gets closer you'll find a deal on pretty much anything you want to buy there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Have you talked to your student loan lenders about extended repayment plans? This may cut down on your montly expenses, and since there is no early repayment penalty, you can always pay it back earlier if you suddenly hit the lottery or something. LOL
    BraniOut

Answer by BraniOut at 10:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2009