my 13 month old has had diarrhea for 8 days now. saw the Dr on day 2 and all he said was to try feeding him a bland diet and no formula or milk. well my son wants nothing to do with solids, so needless to say i have been giving him whole milk. any ideas or advice???

he has a few fecal tests being run but they wont be back for a few more days. i just don't know what else to do. he ate toast once then wanted nothing to do with it, same with white rice, same with chicken and rice soup, same with crackers. he will eat bananas but he still has diarrhea after, he will eat yogurt but has diarrhea after that too. he has diarrhea after drinking milk too. i will be calling the Dr again tomorrow to see if there are any results in and if not i want to bring him in again. HELP!

beck_9808

Asked by beck_9808 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No kidding, stop the milk. I don't know why milk keeps the diarrhea coming, but it really does. Try to get some Pedialyte into him if you can. Offer your little guy only the bananas, rice, toast, crackers, little chicken, water or very, very diluted juice. I'm interested in whatever other moms say about this too. HUGS to you and your LO.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• could it be possible he is lactose intolerant...it seems to point to that...i would stick with the brat diet for a while...bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast...say away from all dairy...see if that helps at all!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I would try pedialyte & pediasure and just crackers. It could be the dairy that is giving him diahrrea. Both the pedialyte and pediasure come in different flavors. The pediasure is milky but lactose free. Did you just switch him to whole milk? This happened with my daughter when we switched her over to whole milk and so our Dr. just told us to hold off for a little bit and then try again. Not all babies are ready right at 1 for whole milk, we waited a month and now she drinks it like a champ! Hope you find out the results soon, poor little guy!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 9:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When a child has gastrointeritous, the worst thing to do is give them milk based products. I'm not trying to be mean. I know you feel your child is starving. You must stop the milk. The proteins in the milk are causing the inflamation to be worse. It takes a long time to heal from this. My son was sick for 2 months after a Rotavirus infection. No breast milk, cows milk or formula! As long as your little one is not dehydrated he will be ok. If he stops peeing, forming tears or his mouth is dry take him to the ER.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 9:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• He has been having whole milk mixed with formula for a month now, he was on soy formula but seemed to be doing fine with the whole milk. last sunday we went to this dumpy little zoo and the next day he started having diarrhea. the doctor told me to try not giving him anything with sugar because it irritates the bowels (milk, formula, juice, pedialite) and he isn't eating the bland solids. was trying to do the BRAT diet thing, he will eat the bananas and applesauce but not the toast or rice and he is still getting diarrhea even after eating those bland things.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Dairy makes diarrhea worse. You need to listen to your doctor. Feed the BRAT diet as prescribed by your doctor. Take away dairy (no yogurt or cheese either) long enough and he'll be hungry enough for the BRAT diet. Also give plenty of water, broth, and pedialite.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• He needs some pedialyte! The most important thing at this point is to make sure he stays hydrated...give him Graham crackers or something just to fill him up a little....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i agree with the other moms pedialyte is a must and try rice krispies, kix, or cherrios. if the bland diet is not working then go back to the doctor, he could have celiac disease or lactose interolance.
    momcandy5

Answer by momcandy5 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Try the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Milk will upset the stomach. also see how much Pedialyte he will drink, its better than sports drinks. Good luck!
    KLONG

Answer by KLONG at 11:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with the other moms, try the pedialyte but be careful with it. My dd went thru this same issue from about 8 months until 14 months. Every 4-6 weeks she would get diarreah so bad and we would put her on pedialyte and it still wouldnt go away. So after many many dr visits i finally got to talk to this wonderful nurse, she told me that i needed to limit her pedialyte intake bc it does help but to much of it will make the diarreah worse and it wont stop. DD had it so badly her bottom was so raw it looked tomatoe red and it was bleeding. If you just switched to whole milk try SOY or LACTAID MILK. Some kids can have milk based formula but not actual milk.
    ClairesMommy209

Answer by ClairesMommy209 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2009