A question for SAHM's?

do you think that since you stay at home with your kids and are with them 24/7 (like me) that when your hubby gets his tax refund back that you should get half of the money from the child tax credit? your job is just as hard as if you were working just like your hubby. why don't that happen every year i think that would be fair to me.

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• umm i stay at home and when the tax money comes even before the baby came we split the tax money 50/50 we are married so it is half mine regardless, and you are ENTITLED to 50% of it
    alcnic55448

Answer by alcnic55448 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• ummmm we don't have his and hers $$. Its our money, we decide what to do with it together. After the bills are paid and we have put a good amount away in savings we will each spend a little on our self's.
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 9:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• we aren't married but will be together 4 years in november. i don't get any of his tax money, he works for it, so he thinks he is the one who decides how its spent.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think expenses and income should be split down the middle in every marriage. If your hubby is the only one working (and I assume he's on board with you being a SAHM) then yes, he needs to share his income with you.

In my opinion his paycheque should go into a common bank account and bills and other necessities get taken out first. You both should agree on major purchases for the house, kids, cars, etc and then after that is taken care of you each get a certain amount of 'mad money' to spend on whatever you want.

Just because he's earning the money doesn't mean he gets to make all the decisions. If you had to pay child care he'd be giving up a lot more I bet.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 10:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• His money is mine to and ours is ours and mine is ours. We aren't married yet but that's how we do things and I don't stay home we are a two parent working home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• im sorry but your guy needs to grow up to think that it is all his, yes he works but you are in a partnership together, technically you can file taxes separate if not married and claim your child on your taxes then YOU will all of the child credit tax, and then tell him that its all yours see how long he likes that...
    alcnic55448

Answer by alcnic55448 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• All of our money gets shared. We pay the bills, put some in savings, and put some in an envelope. Whoever wants or needs it, takes it from the envelope. We don't say that he can spend some and I can spend some. Before we were married we discussed how to handle money. My mother said that we must have a budget, but since both my husband and I are careful about money, it has worked out the way we manage it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• We don't qualify for the child tax credit, but I do get half.

What we usually do every year is pay our property taxes & whatever else needs to be done (car repair, house repair, major projects, etc) and whatever is left over gets split right down the middle.

This year will be the exception - after we pay the property taxes, we are getting a new house. YIPPEE!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:16 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• lol laura :P
    alcnic55448

Answer by alcnic55448 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Wait wait wait... that didn't make sense! LOL

We DO, of course, qualify for the child tax credit! WTH am I thinking?!? I must be thinking EIC or something -- crap --- that's what I get for typing w/o caffeine!

There ya go, CM --- your official "DUH" moment of the day! I'm honored to accept the award! :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 12, 2009