Is pedialyte as effective if you add juice?

MY 13 month old son is not drinking the pedialyte alone, I guess he doesn't like the taste. His stool is dry so I want him to drink the pedialyte. Will it still work if I add juice to change the flavor?

Queentdi

Asked by Queentdi at 10:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont see why not.....hes still getting the electrolytes he needs to help hydrate him...just make sure its not alot of juice, or if you do stay away from apple, that can actually constipate some kids...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• wow thats funny cuz apple juice loosens my son up like crazy lol.....but either way, yes dont put too much in, just for some flavor i think you'll be fine. o but also dont add stuff like kool-aid, of course.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• ok thanks ladies
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 10:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• hehe i know what you mean Amanda...its wierd...but one kid of mine it makes em go, and the other it constipates her...my ped says every kid is different, some can and some cant tolerate it...lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I only give it if they are vomiting or have loose stools. For dry stools, I would give juice, or other foods that are a good source of fiber. I think Pedialite would only make dry stools worse, as it is meant to replace electrolytes lost and prevent dehydration.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I figured he was close to dehydration since it was dry. Plus he has a runny nose and there is slimy mucus in his stool sometimes. when it's not slimy it's a foul odor and it matted to his bottom. Not even a lot of it just like pieces. It's takes a while to wipe of too. I also figured the sugar in the juicy juice was making it dry. I added water to the juicy juice and it didn't help either.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2009