should he wake up like this?

My 3 1/2 yr old SS wakes up from naps and in the morning just crying for his dad. It wakes up my 10 month old because he'll just lay in bed and cry until someone goes in. The problem really is, is that I've just potty trained him, and I'm afraid if no one goes in then he'll pee the bed, but if we go in then its giving in and he continues to wake up yelling, and crying for someone. I usually say to get up and go potty and he refuses to get up by himself until someone goes in and makes him. Its not as bad at naps, but still bout 1/2 the time he does this. Its mostly in the morning when dad is here and gets up to get ready for work. SS used to have to get up with him to go to grandmas during the day. So I know he's hard wired to get up, but why the yelling? Its not frantic, just closer to a whine.

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think it's a big deal. Just have his dad go in there and spend a couple of minutes with him when he wakes up. He can work with his son on the crying by reassuring him that if he just says "dad" in the morning, he will go in his room. Eventually, it will stop.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2009