Help - Trouble walking after cast removal

My 4 year old daughter broke her leg and was in a cast for 6 weeks. She just got her cast off a couple days ago and having trouble walking. Has anyone been through this? How long did it take for your little ones to walk on there own? Her Orthopedic said it will take a couple of months to a year. Please put my mind at ease.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I damaged my knee when i was ten...(lovely neighbor kid was trying to show me karate) it took me several months of physical therapy to be able to stand walking on it right again...and even to this day i still have issues with it...but thats because of a messup with the drs (i should of had surgery i was told later in life) and it hurts when it rains out.
    All i can say is take your time...dont stress too much, if you try to hurry things it might do more damage than good. Does your doc want her doing physical therapy? If so stick to a very tight routine if they have YOU doing any excersizes on her leg at home...as long as you stick with what your doc says is the right thing for her, she will eventually start walking correctly again! Just hang in there mom!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• blueeyedgrl2377 - Thank You for responding! I called the Orthopedics Nurse line and they said that its normal for her not to walk right for a few months to a year. That I'm not to assist her in walking, to let her do it all on her own. I had concerns of her falling and re-breaking her leg and they told me its completely healed and not to worry if she falls, that she will be ok. This still makes me nervous. She's only 4 years old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It is supposedly normal to have issues walking after a cast removal. If you have had no range of motion in your ankle for 6 weeks then it would be REALLY stiff.

However... I broke my foot in 2000 and had a cast on for 6 weeks. When I got it off I immediately told the doctor that something was wrong and that my foot still hurt. He told me it would take awhile to get use to having the cast off. Well, I never got use to it so 4 months later he sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who began seeing me monthly. After a year there I decided that he was doing me no good so I went to a pediatrist who did an MRI and then did surgery the next month. I had tenden damage and enough nerve damage that my nerve actually had to be removed!

So even though it is probably normal, just keep an eye on her. Is she just having trouble walking or does it actually hurt her?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OMG please get her some physical therapy 3x a week for 2 weeks it will make a HUGE HUGE difference--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• She needs to walk on it to make the muscles work again. They have been immobile for 6 weeks. It will take a while for her to walk normally, but the more/earlier she walks the better and quicker she'll bounce back.

My son broke his leg at 15 months. Obviously it's hard to keep a toddler down, and he limped around for a month or so...but we just let him do what we knew he could do before.

He never had PT for it, and his PT now is for global low motor tone, nothing to do with the broken leg.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I had casts on both legs when I was 9 years old, and afterwards had trouble walking (and even standing), because the muscles had atrophied (or in other words, kinda wasted away to nothing!) since they weren't used while in a cast. This had nothing to do with a bone (as I had no broken bones - the casts were to correct a shortened achilles tendon). So it's quite possible the bone is just fine and the muscles just need time to come back. If there's no pain, just difficulty/legs feeling too "tired", I would not worry, encourage her to move around as she feels comfortable and take breaks as needed.
    ratviolin

Answer by ratviolin at 5:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009