Celebrating Columbus Day..... why?

Why are kids out of school and business's closed on Columbus Day? There's absolutely no reason to celebrate it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DS is in school and DH is at work, we've never had the day off for Columbus Day.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• My kids are in school, but they go to private school. All the schools around here are out today and many of the business's are closed.

Aren't the post offices and banks closed today as well?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• didn't even know it was Columbus day....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes, the banks, post office, and all other government offices are closed today.

A day we shouldn't even celebrate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Where I work we would ordinarily be open on Columbus Day, but this year it is a furlough day, so it is nice that I can be home with my husband who does have off today.

I was wondering if there would be mail delivery today. I'm glad you asked the question because I found my answer. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• All the schools her public and private have class today. I think some of the banks are open too. Just no mail for us. Columbus Day first became an official state holiday in Colorado in 1905, and became a federal holiday in 1934. Catholics started the "Knights of Columbus" due to immigration discrimination. They did this to celebrate one of their "own" discovering America.
    Italians celebrate it as a celebration of their heritage. Let's face it, here the whole idea has been lost. It is just a day to have off if you are a Federal employee. I mean, are you going to have a Columbus day celebration today? LOL
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• But that's the thing... he didn't discover America.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• how can a place be discovered if ppl already lived here, i think it's a slap in the native american's faces to "celebrate" such a stupid "holiday"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• HAHA, I was just wondering if native americans celebrated Columbus day.
    wendydeb7

Answer by wendydeb7 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• my husband is working today. i dont remember if he had it off when he worked for the federal gov't,. thanks for the explanation of the holiday salexander. i agree, who is really celebrating today? what do you do to celebrate?
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 11:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2009