Isn't it a little arrogant......?

I watched the Discovery Channel show about Ardi (the humanoid fossil they found that is older than Lucy) last night and it got me thinking...

These highly educated scientists took FIFTEEN YEARS to painstakingly go through every bone fragment they found, studying each one, comparing it to other fossils and living primates. The did not go into it even hoping to find what they found...it took them years to even start realizing what it was, and even then, they stayed skeptical and debated it until enough evidence was there to make it undeniable.

My question is, isn't it a bit arrogant for some lay-person to then read an article about it on Yahoo News that is a couple paragraphs long and, knowing nothing else about it, immediately go "Nope! That theory is stupid! It can't be true because I feel like it's wrong!"???

metalcowgirl34

Asked by metalcowgirl34 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not arrogant but certainly ignorant

Answer by admckenzie at 10:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• How can someone think that much of their high school or possibly 4-year college educated opinions that they would think they know better than a group of scientists who collected this data and studied it for 15 years????
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ignorant, yes. But people will believe what they want.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yeah,but I always think about the dingbats who say the earth was created in 7 days only a few thousand years ago and swear that fossils of millions of years old are not really that old and the scientists are wrong. @@ Heh. How ignorant is that?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It's worse than arrogant.  It's ignorant!

BTW  Happy Thanksgiving where applicable lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ignorant is a better suited word.

Answer by older at 10:45 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Lindalu2, I've also heard from some people that scientists are LYING...because they have nothing better to do than to take that much time out their lives and spend that much money so they can lie to religious people.

Another assumption I've heard is that they go into it looking for the answer they want...then only keep the evidence that points to that answers. As the scientists explained in the show, this couldn't be farther from the truth. They refuse to make ANY assumptions whatsoever until they have gone through ALL the evidence and ALL the possibilities. That's how science works. If there was evidence of gods and they found it, they would not dismiss it just because they don't want it to be true.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• For all those saying "ignorant"....ok, but my point is that they think so highly of themselves that they don't need to do that much research to find out the truth. They just "know". That is arrogance.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You know metal.. The Quran speaks how people say things, think things and believe things without knowledge and arrogantly (refusal to submit to the truth ) and ignorantly LOL and thinking highly of themselves while they know nothing. LOLOLOL

so i agree Arrogant is a good word.. And so is ignorant...and so is thinking highly of yourself.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:52 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

I disagree.  It's not that they think highly of themselves, it's because they are so brainwashed by religious doctrine that they fear the repercussions of anything that may make them question that doctrine.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2009