Do you give away toys you know your kids won't miss?

The ones basically that, when it's time to clean out the toys they insist on keeping but you KNOW they never play with. Ours wants to keep EVERYthing, but doesn't play with like 3/4 of it. When I mention this to ours of course it's, "oh , I'm gonna play with that" and like 6 months later it's still in the bottom of the toy bin untouched. Would you get rid of that kind of stuff with their knowledge?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, not behind their backs, if they insist that they want to keep it. I may not know their actual reason, some reason that maybe they don't fully understand. I do (and did) give away toys they seem indifferent to.

Answer by Bmat at 11:16 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I sure do. I wait for them to go to school or on afternoon errands with daddy and I go thru their stuff. What is still in good condition I donate to families in my congregation so that the toys get used in some way shape or form even if it's not from my own kids. However if the toys are in shambles then I either recycle them if I can or just simply throw them out with the garbage.

My kids have so much stuff the never miss anything I get rid of and it makes room for the crap they'll get during the holidays or b-days.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes, I do. They never miss them either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Absolutely. Kids want to keep everything! If it were up to them they would keeps every tiny little thing. Im anti-clutter. I do the same thing to my DH... Not behind his back of course but im like "hey dude you havent touched this in months can I toss it?" usually he says " Noooo I like that" or something haha he is just like a kid and wants to keep everything.. Plus he grew up with a clutter bug mom.. But I'll eventually get him to throw it out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No. I put half his toys away then rotate them out as he gets bored with the toys he has.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:31 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i make my kids get rid of their own toys. they might be willing to give some away if they know they are going to someone else that doesn't have toys or will love that toy. if they insist on keeping to many toys then i have them all pic one or two more toys out of the keep pile. my girls are happy to make another child happy.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 12:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• yes i do and i let them know that they do not play with it and the only reason they want to keep it is because they know i am throwing it out
    Anonymous

• I feel like I constantly throw toys away. They keep multiplying because the toy box is always full. I always get rid of toys without telling the kids. They never notice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I sure do.
    If they arent using it or just not using it at all then its put in a box and sent to a place where they will be used.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009