how much is "normal"

I have a son who I swear, whines at LEAST half of the day -UGH.. please tell me he's not the Only one out there. He's going to be 2 in a month and i was hoping this would eventually go away. He goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at 5:00- 5:30 am ... with one nap of around 1-1/2 hours at noon. He has a very scheduled routine life. He's loved, we play ALL DAY LONG, he just never seems happy. He just whines, and when I ask him to "use your words" or tell me what's wrong, its like he's searching the room to find something - like, Oh, I want this... its never anything. I have brought him to so many doctors to figure out what's wrong, all kids can NOT be this hard. I love him to pcs but DAMN... it has to get easier soon...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's pretty normal. My 2.5 year old can be pretty whiny, I jut ignore it. I say, mommy will help you when you can use your words like a big girl and after that pay no attention until she is no longer whining. It can be so frustrating though, nothing grates on my nerves quite like whining! She is learning though and more and more often uses her words rather than whine. Hang in there and be consistent with not responding to whining and eventually he will learn that whining will NOT get him what he wants! Good luck I know how irritating it can be, although it is just a phase!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Sometimes I had to just refuse to respond until he used non-whining words. I'd stop, say use words please, no whining, and wait until he respond the way I wanted. If he didn't seem to know, and was just bored, then I'd find something that would help the boredom- almost always let's read, or let's play a counting or letter game.

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OP. I ended up putting him in his room for whining and he can't come out until he's all done whining or can tell me what's wrong. I think boredom too sometimes but he has never been one to play independantly no matter how much we've tried or introduced or bought him to play with. He just won't . He says MOMMY play with me, daddy play with me - he never wants to be alone - not scared like or anything, he just won't. He's also vey clingy. I don't pick him up every time he wants and try to get MY Things done but it feels almost impossible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Oct. 12, 2009