Have You Ever Heard This Idea Before?

I heard this idea on the news a while back, it had never occurred to me, but it certainly seems like a good idea. The suggestion was that every day before leaving the house you should take a picture of each of your children with your cell phone. In an emergency situation should your child disappear, you would have a picture of what they look like that very day. They went on to say that very often current pictures are not to be had in missing child cases, the most recent photo is usually from a big occasion (often many months earlier), and typically the child would not look like they normally would because of being dressed up, etc. I was curious if anyone had heard this idea before.... does anyone practice this? Having heard this idea now, would you begin doing this?

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 11:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's overkill. "Ideas" like this is what is causing our society to be so paranoid. We now assume, as we leave the house each morning, that it will be the last time we see our loved ones, that pedophiles are around every corner and every adult (especially males) are out to take our kids. It's sad.
    I have heard of this idea before but I rarely even remember my phone has a picture option. I rarely use and half the time forget my phone at home. I can see this being useful if you are at a busy place for the day (like the zoo or an amusement park) but every day...that's a little crazy to me.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Yes, I have heard of this before and I think if you know you have a little wanderer on your hands and it puts your mind at ease to have a picture of him for safety reasons then by all means do it. I don't have a cell phone - hubby does but I don't (I don't believe in them but thats another story) so I can't do that but I do make name tags for my children when we go on vacation. Usually we go to Disney every single year and most summers to Busch Gardens as well. We have 11&4 yr old little girls and my name tags read like this:

My name is London _____.
    My family and I are staying at the Walt Disney World Coronado Springs Resort.
    Please help me rejoin my group by calling xxx-xxx-xxxx (hubby's cell phone #)

For our 4yr old it says the same thing only it also list her allergies. I take 'em to Staples, have 'em laminated. The 11yr old put hers in a landyard around her neck along with her park ticket and we safety pin...
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Cont'
    the one for our 4yr old's face down on the back of her shirt so she won't play with it and get it lost. It might seem strange that we make a card for our 11yr old but when she was 10 she got separated from us in EPCOT right before the end of the night fireworks show and my husband I was frantic looking for her. We left our then 3yr old with our BFF while we ran around looking for her. Worst feeling ever! We found her 10 long mins later. It's not as if she doesn't know her own name or even the name of the hotel we're staying at but when we found her she was so scared she was shaking and totally forgot what to do even tho we had gone over what to do if something like that happens 1,000 times but when you're little and scared you sometimes forget stuff you would normally know otherwise. I say it's best to be safe cuz at the end of the day as long as you have your kids with ya any precautions you take is worth it
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• In theory it sounds like a good idea, but I know I wouldn't ever do it that often. Maybe I will try to take current casual pictures more frequently though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I have pictures galore, not for that reason, but just because. I haven't heard that idea, but I do seem to wonder why parents do not have more recent pix. Whether they are on a cell phone, digital camera, or polaroid. If I ever get that paranoid about my child being in danger of a kidnapping, then I will probably get one of those tracking devices that you can put on their shoe lace.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• taking pics often is a great idea but i would say everyday is overkill. when my daughter was 3 she ran away from me at the mall and i didn't have a pic on me ( i carry school pics now). thankfully she was okay. take a minute and think, can you remember exactly what your kid wore to school today? maybe a pic wouldn't hurt.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 12:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I was actually told by an security guard at seaworld to remember not what they are wearing, because most kidnappers will change their clothes if it is in a public place, but not their shoes. Clothing can be an approximate size and still work, shoes are harder to carry and look inconspicuous. So I always make note of what shoes my son is wearing that day.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2009