Discipline Question for 2.5 yr old

Clare is 2.5, will be 3 on 12/22. sometimes i feel like all i do is yell at her when she is yelling or whining. it can get very annoying and aggravating to listen to her yell and whine what seems like all the time. what has helped your kid to stop yelling and whining so much? i use time outs for serious offenses like pushing, kicking, hitting her brother [Nathan, 18 months]. i don't spank so that is not an option for discipline for me.

thanks for any help you can give!

AgentBrez

Asked by AgentBrez at 11:32 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• give them something to sooth.. cookies, a drink, a toy, something to drawl their attention
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ignore...If you are yelling back at her, she is getting a reaction...or if you must respond, I'd suggest that you whisper when you talk back to her...she has to quiet down to hear you. If she sees that you are yelling, it re-inforces that yelling is ok for her to do as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Jademom07- thank you, i had forgotten about that trick. i read about it somewhere a long time ago. and that is the exact reason i dont want to yell back at her - like you said it reinforces that it is okay. [i use the same logic with spanking, if i am teaching my kids to not hit why would i hit them? thats not to bash anyone who does spank, just my reasoning why i dont].
    AgentBrez

Answer by AgentBrez at 11:40 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I put my son is his room until he ALL DONE whining. he will be 2 in a month and I think thats all he does all day sometimes is WHINE and it gets SO OLD...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• So, where did she learn to hitting her brother is okay?  just saying

Anonymous

• Anon 25 - just saying what exactly?
    Anonymous

• When my daughter tries to cry her way into a "yes" I tell her to go to her room, because whining is a lonely business, and she needs to go do it by herself. I also use "extinction" and redirection. Extinction is basically ignoring the behavior, to show the child that it doesn't get them what they want. This works well with whining, too. When my daughter whines for something I know I don't want her to have, I simply tell her the answer is no and get on with my business. Walking away shows them that the conversation is over, and that the crying doesn't work. With aggressive behaviors, I try to remain calm (no yelling) and involve the child in fixing the problem she caused. If my son pushes my daughter, I don't ask him to say "I'm sorry." Never sounds sincere anyway. I tell him it's his job to find a way to make his sister feel better, so he can give her a hug, or let her play with one of his toys. It really works!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Anon 25 - Do you actually HAVE a kid? Even in the most "HIT-FREE" home, kids will strike out at eachother. They are testing their limits and seeing what they can and cannot control. Don't be a bitch and try to make the questioner feel like she's to blame. She's asking for our help here.
    Anonymous

• Me again, GREAT BOOK called "Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline" by Becky Bailey. :0)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When my older kids were younger, I told them that I couldnt understand them when they whined or yelled...if they wanted me to understand they needed to use their words in a big girl/boy voice. It took a while to penetrate, but being consistant with it worked well.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 1:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009