Tested positive for Strep B

Hi

Has anyone else tested positive for Group Strep B and what does this mean?

Cheers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, you will get antibiotics an hour before you deliver. Don't panic if they can't get it in you fast enough, I didn't get mine with my last and he was fine.

This might help..... http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:55 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I had it and yes you are supposed to be prepped atleast 1 hour before delivery. I'm not sure what it is but my son was born healthy. Good luck!
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 11:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I'm getting my Strep B test done at my next appointment & my doctor explained to me that all women have these bacterias in our vaginas, just some more than others. So if it's more than they would like, you'll get antibiotics before delivery, because the baby hasn't been exposed to any bacteria before, so they take that precaution in order for the baby not to get sick. Really, it doesn't mean much, it's normal.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• wow, other doctors treat GBS differently than my 2 did! I had GBS when I delivered both my kids and our hospital would start the med as soon as it is determnied that you are in labor. Then they give you another dose every 4 hours til you deliver. They like you to get at least 2 doses but if you dont, its not the end of the world
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I had it with my second child. It seems like they gave me antibiotics as soon as I was admitted and in the bed. My child was fine and so was I. I never knew I even had it.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• yes it's very common. hopefully your OB/midwife talked about it with you??? it's basically normal for women to have it but can be harmful to your baby. it is very rare to cause harm to the baby but there are ways to prevent it. so you don't have to worry at all :)

i was positive, and my nurse said i had to have IV w/ antibiotics but i later read research that says that is not necessary and there are other ways to prevent it.

here is a starting point for you to research

http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-health/articles/172/1/Treating-Group-B-Strep

if i am positive with my 2nd pregnancy, I WILL NOT DO THE IV antibiotics. having antibiotics in your baby's system isn't really so healthy, and, like i said there are other ways. i prefer to be free to move around so i can manage the pain and the IV made that a little more difficult.

Anonymous

• here is the conclusion from that link, just for the basic point:

Ultimately, it is the pregnant woman herself who will have to decide what is right for her and her baby. Deciding to follow the recommendations of ACOG and the CDC is not necessarily the wrong choice, as long as a woman is adequately informed of the risks that come with antibiotic use. But none of us should blindly follow recommendations to interfere with the natural birth process without taking a good look at the risks, as well as the benefits, of doing so.

basically, antibiotics during birth decrease the chance of baby getting an infection from GBS, but increase the chances of some other infection.
    Anonymous