High cholesterol question

My DH was just told his cholesterol level is high. What can i do to lower it, as far as cooking? I don't fry foods, but he does eat lots of sweets. Need some ideas. Thank you!!

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Health

• OATMEAL!!!! Oatmeal for breakfast, oatmeal cookies, CheeriOs....
    If he could eat oatmeal for breakfast (without the meats/bacon/sausage, etc on the side!) it should show in his bloodwork in one month.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I agree with the previous post but i personally don't care for oatmeal so i eat hunny nut cheerios for breakfast and my cholesterol has gone down a lot. I also take flax seed oil capsules and that also helps naturally lower cholesterol. Maybe make more fish and things high in omega-3. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Cut way back on, or eliminate: meat, dairy, sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup), highly processes grains like white flour (and white rice, etc.).

Start eating lots of fruits and vegetables (7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors); lots of whole grains (5-6 servings a day); at least 2 servings a day of legumes. Send me a message offlist if you would like recipe and meal ideas. Sprinkle ground flax in foods. Take a good quality fish oil or hemp oil every day.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Fish Oil is the best thing to bring down cholesterol. He can safely take 8 pills a day, which is ALOT and Im not recommending that, Im just repeating what our cardiologist told our 81 y/o gramma. Her cholesterol was over 200 and by giving her 6 fish oil pills a day, along with good diet, her cholesterol dropped to 119 in a 6 month period. We now give her 2 a day and it maintains her cholesterol. I would go get a couple bottles at the store and get him started today, you will be amazed at how well it works, with no side effects like the meds they prescribe for cholesterol. (and her cardiologist was quite pleased with her results)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:19 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Thank you ladies !!
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009