Mother-In-Law and McDonalds......

Here goes, question and vent in one, lol.

My MIL, whom I love and normally get along with, thinks it is okay to take my DD to McDonalds every time she has her (2-3 tims a week) It has gotten to the point that my daughter will not eat what we have at home because she wants McD's instead. How do we combat this? I know I need to talk to my MIL but in the mean time, how do I get my DD to eat at home???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she doesn't eat what you fix, she doesn't eat...period. That includes snacks other than fruits and veggies.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• im not that experienced, so i dont know if this will work but, if i was you, first of all i would ask my MIL to only take her to mcdonalds one day a week. i personally dont see anything wrong with a kid eating mcdonalds one or two, even three days a week. i think kids should be allowed to be kids while they can, one day she may be worried about her weight and no be able to eat mcdonalds all the time so let her have fun now while she can yano? but i would try and explain to her that grandma lets her get a special treat when shes with her for being a good girl, and sometimes you will let her get that special treat too but not all of the time because she cant have it all the time, but she still needs to eat what you make her, or she wont eat and you will take something ( a toy she likes ..) away from her. thats what i would try. GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• What is on the table is what we are eating. They can choose to eat or not eat. However, if they choose not to eat there are NO alternatives and NO snacks before the next meal. Contrary to what many believe. Children will not starve themselves to death. Be prepared to be firm. Tell her up front the consequences of not eating. I have done..still do this with all my kids and grandkids. They learned after a missed meal once or twice that I mean business.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ask your MIL to only bring her to McD's one time a week. Make a compromise. As for not eating at home, make her foods that you know she will eat along with other foods that you want her to try. I do NOT believe in not feeding children for any reason. Food should NEVER be used as a punishment or reward. Children need to be taught HEALTHY eating habits and not feeding them is not healthy. I have never not fed my child, I do NOT withhold food because he doesn't like something that is made. I make sure there is atleast 1 food that he does like at every meal. If he doesn't like something new, then I will make him something else. I don't eat things I don't like or when I am not hungry and I will not make my son either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• just tell mil if she continues to refuse other foods, you are going to have to cut off the mcd's entirely.... that should scare her into trying to get her to eat other foods. next time your dd says no she wont eat her food and wants mcdonalds, tell her she wont have mcd's for a long long time and if she doesnt want to go hungry - EAT.... you have to draw a line in the sand and defend it...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• "i personally dont see anything wrong with a kid eating mcdonalds one or two, even three days a week. i think kids should be allowed to be kids while they can, one day she may be worried about her weight and no be able to eat mcdonalds all the time so let her have fun now while she can yano?"

A kid can be a kid without eating a happy meal 3 freakin times a week. Yea, she is going to have weight problems if she continues being fed mcdonalds 3 times a week.. That is absurd. Once a week? Whatever! but more than that really is too much. Unless you're just too lazy there is no reason to be feeding a kid McDonalds that often.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• OP Here:

I talked to my MIL and she says there is nothing wrong with our kiddo eating that all the time. I disagree. Our DD used to love fresh veggies, sweet pot. fries, chicken breast, steak, fruit salad, etc. until MIL started taking her to McD's all the time. I told her that if she will not stop taking our child there that she will no longer get to see her. It is ruining our daughters healthy eating habits and making our home life almost terrible because we constantly have to fight to get our child to eat what is good for her.

Thank you all for the advice!
    Anonymous

• Ask your MIL to make the McD's trip something special like once a week. My daughter loves McD's and thinks we should eat there everyday! But its a treat in our household. Good behavior and maybe a trip? Maybe she can take her someplace else for lunch.

But I am with the 1st post- offer your child the meal, if she doesn't eat then no dinner. She won't starve. We do this rule too.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 5:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If she was a "normal" eater before then no worries. She will return to eating normal again. In the mean time your mother-in-law, you, and your husband need to talk. In a non threatening-we-love-you kind of way. She really doesn't need to eat fast food three times a week. Take her to your daughter's next pediatrician's appointment and have her listen to what her doctor has to say about eating fast food so often and how it can really damage her organs and her over all well being. As well as interfere with her normal growth and development physically and cognitively. Call ahead of time so your child's primary care doctor can bring it up as a "routine" discussion.  Explain healthy to your child and why you want her to eat healthy.  Then let her detox and she will go back to eating well again.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I would tell my MIL if making food was to much work I would start sending a meal made with her. My DD is only allowed McDs or such once or twice a month. Do you know what is in that food it is horrible for her in so many ways.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2009