At what age do you stop tucking your children in?

I'm curious b/c I don't even remember my mom tucking me in beyond 9 years old or so. Just curious how everyone else feels about this and when you think it's appropriate to just kiss the kids goodnight and send them to bed on their own.

georgeswife5014

Asked by georgeswife5014 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• As long as my kids let me I'm going to be doing it. :) My kids are 7 and 6 and with my 7 year old it has involved into a little bit of alone time where he can ask me things. This is how often I found out what was going on at school. He would be settle in and say so and so, at school, said this today, what does it mean?

Now I will say at times he does it to "stay" up, but other times he just really wants to know something, and for whatever reason, he's more comfortable sharing at bed time when I go in to say good-night and tuck him in.

Of course as they get older I won't be tucking them in, but I always plan on at least popping my head in and saying good night and give them a kiss (if they let me). Perhaps, it will be at that moment they'll be able to share with me what is going on with them.... After all when you have multiple kids and busy life it can be hard to get that moment. :)

That's just my take on it.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• LMAO..my son would crap if he knew this. At 21 years old when he stays here at the house I STILL go check him before I go to bed. Old habits die hard. As far as physically tucking them in..I did it as long as they let me..I'm thinking around 10 or so. FGirls maybe longer than boys.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I remember telling my mom that she didn't have to come in there with me anymore. But she told me that she still wanted me to say goodnight before I went to bed. I don't remember how old I was. Let your children give you the OK... if they don't want a good night kiss anymore, they'll let you know.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old and they still want to be tucked in. I just go with it, and figure when they don't want us to they will tell us. They don't havve us do it when friends are over tho...lol
    L.R.I.Ma

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 4:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i believe that u can tuck yr children in at any age or give them a kiss or a hug...........u never know when u cant have the chance to do it .like i say to my kids and my husband never go to bed angry or never leave the house without saying i love u .because u never now hen yr end wll come
    ritz51

Answer by ritz51 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Ladies.. this question was not about kissing them goodnight. Obviously that is something that can continue a long time. This is about physically going in and pulling back their covers and sheets and actually tucking them in and handing them their favorite stuffed animal. Are you saying that when your kids are 16 you are still going to tuck them in like they are 8? That is what I'm trying to get at.
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 9:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I doubt most 16 yr olds would want that..but yes, if they wanted it, I would. It killed me inside the first time my oldest said "Mom I don't need you to tuck me in"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Yeah I would if that is what they want, why not? Maybe easier to talk to me or dad that way
    L.R.I.Ma

Answer by L.R.I.Ma at 12:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i still do it for my 11 year old.. she loves it.
    YamahaMamma

Answer by YamahaMamma at 4:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2008

• ill stop when they ask me to cause imma enjoy the moment until i cant know more they grow to fast
    babygirl1215

Answer by babygirl1215 at 1:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2008