Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when your daughters friend tells of abuse?

My daughters friend is afraid to go home... I think mostly because she has come forward telling of abuse feels even more scarred of mom and her choices... I'm equally scarred for her, my daughter, myself and my family. This news has put me on the fence. I grew up in an abusive family its scarry saying anything to anyone... What to do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Call CPS.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • CPS

    Answer by MizAnn at 12:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • unless you are a mandatory reporter you dont call CPS you call the Cops and they will call CPS the first think that needs to be done is safety of the kid being abused and a formal report.... as for your own safety...- I learned how to shoot a shot gun-- the week after my dh took a night shift job 6 nights a week...

    Answer by MELRN at 12:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • Call your police station and see what they say first.

    Answer by momavanessa at 12:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • There is nothing scary about calling the police to protect this child. What is scary is doing nothing and find out tomorrow she had the life beaten out of her. I too am an abuse survivor. This child reached out to you. I had to tell 4 different adults before someone did anything. Please help this child. Now, Today..

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • Report! You can never tell when abuse goes from bad to worse, and it's NOT worth the chance that this child could be seriously hurt. No matter what state you're in, the child protective service HAS A HOTLINE. Look it up on the web, or even in your phone book and REPORT WHAT YOU KNOW, please.

    Answer by Jodie118 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • Depends on where you live & how they handle things. I'm in a tight situation as well. My godkids are in a VERY bad environment. The oldest has talked about suicide, running away, and getting pregnany on purpose just so she can get away from the situation.

    Problem is - the cops & CPS have been called out NUMEROUS times. What do they do? Nothing. The cops have even told the kids that it's "his house" (stepdad) "... and he can do whatever he wants..." They come out, "investigate", leave, & then the kids get it worse.

    If we report them, yet again, the kids are just going to get more abuse from it & we will most likely be cut out of their lives -- and we're the only good thing they've got going right now. So, instead, we walk the fine line of trying to help as best we can & counting down the days 'til they can move out..... and into our home.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • Call CPS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

  • CPS

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.