What does being "in love" mean to you?

I think being in love is a "commitment" not a feeling. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I agree with you. I think being in love is a choice we make. When I met my husband I had an instant attraction for him. We both lusted over each other and made us want to be around each other. Being around each other we really got to know one another and we both made a choice to open our hearts and allow each other in. What was a chemical attraction was allowed to develop into a deep meaningful relationship. We both made that choice to fall in love with each other. We make the choice each day to stay in love and nurture our relationship. So many think being in love is a feeling what they are feeling is likely the infatuation and lust when that goes away for them they have nothing and divorce. Kind of sad if you think about it. They were not deep enough individuals to even develop something more meaningful.

Anonymous

• I think being in love is a feeliing. Being together long term is the commitment. There will be times when you don't feel the love as strongly, and times you doubt or even feel trapped. The commitment is to weather these times until you remember the love you have for your partner. Not giving up is the key.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Many people are committed but not in love. Some commit out of responsibility, obligation, guilt....none of which is love imo.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think being in love is a feeling of safety and respect that doesn't leave you. If it does leave you for more than a couple of hours of a difference of opinion then the love is one sided not mutual.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

Well said.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think being in Love means wanting the person to be a part of everything in your life. Also that feeling of intimacy, respect, and that you would be there for them no matter what, be it good times or bad. Yes it's a commitment but to me it's also a very strong feeling.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think being "in love" is loving that person perhaps even more than you do yourself. Selflessly putting their wants and needs before you own. And if they really love you they'll want to do the same for you so it evens out in the balance of the relationship.
    I fall in and out of love with my hubby on a regular basis. I'm committed to him. But you can commit without love or being "in love".
    Committing to me is the choice... you can love someone and let them go. You can keep them in your life and not love them (or like).
    My hubby being "in love" with me, means that he'll make sacrifices for me (and me for him), that you want to be with that person in body and spirit (doesn't require marriage but it is a bonus).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:30 PM on Oct. 12, 2009