My almost 3 year old is out of control!!!

I have a beautiful almost 3 year old little boy. He is the absolute light of my life. However, he is out of control. I KNOW it is simpy because of his age, but I am losing it. He doesn't listen. I have tried "SuperNanny's" naughty spot, time out, taking away favorite items,getting on his level and talking about it... I have tried it all. In fact, I DO them all. Even with the consequences he repeats the behavior RIGHT away or throws a fit. I am the wall and he doesn't hear me. Until now daddy could get control, but now it seems like all we do is yell. I am a Stay-at-home-mom and by noon I am ready to jump. He is great with other kids though; no pushing, hitting, or biting. He was always the "easy" kind of kid. I know all I have to do id find ONE thing that works and his behavior will improve. Any ideas????

mommy2one2006

Asked by mommy2one2006 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The methods on Supernanny do work. They must be enforced repeatedly EVERY time a behavior happens. Yelling at kids is useless. When you do it you might as well have flipped an off switch in their brain. The fact that you have relied on Dad to get control in the past has made the process harder for you. When discipline starts and is consistantly used the behavior often gets worse before it gets better. Thats because they are testing you. Even if it means putting him back on the 'naughty spot" or time out chair 20 times..do it. He will learn you are not messing around.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• He may be adhd, have him checked by a doctor.
    Anonymous

• yea this is not a "three" year old thing, maybe he should be spending more time with other kids? If he is an only child he may be extremely bored. I found having my daughter start beginner preschool has helped a lot she is an only. This gets her out of the house and in a kids fun environment. She also has dance class once a week this really helps get out her energy and then we practice dance at home too.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2009