Not fit to parent?

Other than religious reasons, to think that homosexual couples would not make great parents? To think that their sexual preference has anything to do with parental abilities? What is the most important thing for a child to grow up in if not love and feeling wanted and cared for?http://www.docstoc.com/docs/12947722/Gay-Marriage_-Same-Sex-Parenting_-and-Americas-Children

Asked by older at 1:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Sexual orientation has nothing to do with being a good parent. Being gay has nothing to do with how they parent their children. I have seen straight couples that didn't want their children or at least thats how the it is perceived.  There are a lot of Gay couples that would LOVE to be foster parents and or adoptive parents to older children but instead the religious zealots want them to be in the system that they approve of.  Oh yea, that is working out GREAT......NOT

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think that anyone who takes good care of their kids, shows them love and guidance, and teaches them to be a good person is fit to be a parent regardless of religion, sexual preference, etc. A parent's job is to take care of their kids, raise their kids to be good people (kind to others, hard working, a benefit to society, etc), in a stable, loving home. If they can do that, then why does their sexual preference matter?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I think gay couples can make great parents. Shoot, some straight parents make horrible parents. Their sexual orientation has nothing to do with parenting abilities.
    Anonymous

• I know great parents that are gay and horrid parents that are straight... Your sexual prefrence has no bearing on the love you can give a child. In fact I would say that Gay parents are in most cases better parents. Straight couples come by children accidently and may not be fit to raise them. But a Gay couple really truely has to go through some real issues just to adopt or go through invetro... Either way they have to be cleared medically, financially sound and have little to no criminal history. So, on average gays fight harder just to have a child, where as straights may not even want the baby...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I do not believe that someone being gey/lesbian has any affect on how they parent. In fact they are better them most straight people attitude wise. I'm not saying all just saying most. Plus the children see how true love it in a gay couple then in a straight more often then not. Because gay people have to fight for their relationship whereas straights we are not ridiculed unless we marry outside our race/religion sometimes. So the child see's the parents go through hardships and how they stick together through the good AND the bad. So wether the child be gay or straight they hopefully will have respect and understanding of what a marrriage or releationship is truly about and how to best handle it.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• i agree w/ everyone else that homosexuality does not make a person a better or worse parent. that alone has no bearing on a parent/child relationship, in fact no single trait (race, gender, etc) makes a person a better/worse parent. a homosexual's personality/characteristics are no more based on their sexual preference than mine are...so much more goes into a person than what sex they are attracted to.

it really bothers me when ppl say that homosexuals shouldnt adopt/foster children. i dont think they realize what they are sentencing that child to...life in the system is hard & often times leads to a hard adulthood. anyone who's ever worked for these children should know that any solid home (no matter what the parents sexual preference) is better than living in the system.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Answered at 5:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 by: Anonymous

I could name numerous situations where this is DEFINITELY not the best situation for the child(ren).

1-parents are abuse toward eachother
    2- parents are abuse toward their children
    3- parents are abusers of alcohol or drugs
    4- parents work numerous jobs and are never around to actually raise the children (could be for a number of reasons)
    5- parents didn't want the children to begin with
    etc etc etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• the point is.. it's not about the sexuality of the parent.. it's about the love, time, and commitment put into raising that child that matter.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I personally trust my child in the care of the gay couples that I knowover majority of the straight couples. My daughters godmother and her husband (not her godfather) argue all the time, it has in the past gotten violent. Another married couple I know, the husband just sits and plays X-Box. My one lesbian friend and her girlfriend are very hands-on when they are babysitting. They have a similar parenting philosophy as me and my husband. My own friend, I love him but he spoils the children, but that's better than beating them.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2009

• Oh and another thing...homosexuality is not a disease...it's not contagious...and 90% of the time you can't tell a gay person from the next.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2009