How do I get my 4 year old to go poo in the towlet?

He goes pee fine in the towlet but when ever he has to poo he will go and hide and poo in his pants. Sometimes I will catch him in the acted right before he starts and I would run him to the bath room but as soo as I get him on the towlet he freezes up and doesnt go. I would make him sit there until he goes sometime he does but most of the time he doesnt. one night I had him sit there and try to go for 30 minutes. The problem is he doesnt tell us when he has to go he just goes and hides. Oh and I have even tried the reward system but he could careless..I am soooo tired of cleaning poo underwear!! does anyone have any good ideas????

Pfamily3

Asked by Pfamily3 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At this age, he is old enough to know better...how about he has to start washing his underwear out in the toilet when he does this...It sounds like he is past the stage of rewards...maybe you need to start discipline?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Ok i am offened by even the suggestion to discipline a child that poops in their underwear.....I would NEVER do that to a child...hello negative reinforcment...You need to stay positive here....there maybe other underlying issues with him, he doesn't feel confident, or he is embarrased or something like that...Yes 4 is a little bit old not to be pooing in the potty, my oldest who just turned 5 today took a very long time to learn to poo in the potty, it took him several months to learn that, it's an age thing...please don't get discouraged about this, each child is different and will take what ever time he needs to learn this process, you need to be paitent with him...Please ask your ped....they are there to help as well.....Good Luck!
    Corbysmommie08

Answer by Corbysmommie08 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• When my 3 year old son (now 4) used to do the same. Have you tried giving him some books while he sits there?
    monkiboysmom

Answer by monkiboysmom at 4:08 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You know, he may be afraid to poo in the toilet. This may sound gross, but it is a way to learn, and it worked for me. . When he poos in his pants, show him what he has done. He knows what poo is at this point. After that, the next time you have to poo, have him in the bathroom while you are going too. After he sees that his mommy is pooing in the toilet too, maybe he might want to do it to. They say that kids want to be just like their mom's and dad's.

Jewels9308

Answer by Jewels9308 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• discipline big time he is way old enough to know better
    married-in-06

Answer by married-in-06 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• u should tear his ass up..........anytime my dd doesnt use the potty i spank her
    married-in-06

Answer by married-in-06 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009