Is this union strong arming torquing you off enough yet?

First, the unions came for home-care providers. Next, they came for babysitters…
By Michelle Malkin • October 5, 2009 01:03 PM
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/10/05/first-the-unions-came-for-home...

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 1:15 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• This was months back on home schooling being attacked in Cali

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/03/06/california-court-threatens-homeschoolers/

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• The homeschooling issue is pretty much ancient history here...homeschooling's not going anywhere in California.

While I am represented by a union, it's only because I have no other choice in this job. I'd just as soon NOT...and my grandparents were faithful members of the garment worker's union!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I hope not gd but imo the point still remains

Hey my dad was a painter in the union for 36 or so years..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• "I hope not gd but imo the point still remains "

I don't get the connection between homeschooling and the union? But I am working under the presumption that homeschooling parents aren't getting any money from the government...perhaps that's where I'm confused.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• No not that I know of gd ..but imo this is all connected..what did you think of the other articles?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• In this state, IHSS workers...even those who are caring for family members...are running a risk of losing everything. They came very close to getting slashed entirely this summer, and next year is not looking good.

If the union could prevent that, it would be a good thing. IHSS is cheaper that paying for a nursing home; and believe me the STATE would be paying for it.

But attempts to just bring more people into the union fold are not. I'm opposed to forcing people to be in a union.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• The unions would be going after homeschoolers because they get federal funding for enrolled children, not homeschooled. Sure, you still have property taxes going to the school systems, but if your child isn't enrolled the school doesn't receive the coveted federal funds per child. My sister homeschools in a northern state and until this year her son had wanted to be homeschooled. He is in 5th or 6th grade this year and he decided that he wanted to try public school, but he wasn't sure how it would go. They let him enroll for HALF DAY elementary school. They never used to do that, but they were happy to oblige since the more enrolled children they get, the more fed. money they get. They need to get some sort of money to pay those teachers that aren't allowed to teach but because of tenure they can't fire. It's not cheap to warehouse people.

Anonymous

• Anon1 you said it best!! I'm in TN and bc we homeschool in this small hick town we call home, we are outsiders. Mind you I grew up here, graduated here, WAS a county employee. And yep I'm now an outsider!!!!
    Anonymous