SO/Dh nitpicking parenting skills

How far would you let your so/dh nitpick you for your parenting skills before you snapped?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Whoa! He doesn't have kids of his own, but feels the need to nitpick you for YOUR parenting choices regarding YOUR son? I would give him a swift kick to the curb!

You are the mom. Your rules go and I would tell him that if he has any hope of having a lasting relationship with you, that he had better hang up his nitpicking shoes because they are not welcome! I would snap, I have never had a situation like that, just ones where my mom likes to try and undermine me with my boys but she has NEVER left me ready to cry. You deserve more respect than that and I would make him realize that next time he says anything like this to you, you will drop him like a hot potato! It's a lot of work raising kids....consider yourself in the college years of mommyhood and he hasn't even started preschool....what a jerk!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• seeing as he wouldn't hold our newborn son and wouldn't let me hold on to him for support when I was sick after delivery he's had earfuls plenty but not an ultimatum with a counsellor yet.

If it's constant nonstop, do not stand for that. get a counsellor and get help making deicisions to bet better or get help in support to split.
    Anonymous

• He wouldn't nitpick to begin with...and the first time he did, I would calmly suggest that if he would like to do it all himself, he's welcome to...or if you didn't want to be snide...you could pull him aside alone, and aks just what his problem is with your abilites. I would also say that mentioning anything snide in front of the kids, undermines your ability as a parent.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't. I would tell him if he thinks he can do better and that I'm not doing it good enough that he can do it or leave me alone and let me do my thing. I would listen though to make sure that he doesn't have a good point in there some where at which point I would stop to talk about how WE could improve ourselves as parents.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. that doesn't mean we don't bicker and disagree about each others parenting but we try to be more compassionate about it. I would never say what HE is doing is WRONG and he'd never say that either. but I am the one doing the research and we talk about what TYPE of discipline we want for our son, although with every situation we've come accross now, the rules are bending here and there and it causes bickering from both of us. It get SO hard but I wouldn't let him bash me unless I was being unresponsible and inconsiderate to my child. we will both admit to just learning with this also. My husband wants to shelter our son in a protective bubble and hates that I don't - that's our biggest fight lately.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• the thing is my SO has never even met my son, nor does he have children of his own but everytime we talk or are together he spends the entire time nitpicking at me until I'm ready to cry.
    Anonymous

• My mom is even worse with nitpicking me!
    Anonymous

• What in the world are you doing that is soooo nitpicky to everyone?

MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:07 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• It sounds like he is in no position to criticize. I'd tell him how it makes you feel, and if he kept it up I'd drop him.
    Anonymous

• nothing i do for my son is ever good enough for anyone in my family or my SO!
    Anonymous