Do you think Super Nanny's good on ABC? I think her ideas and solutions are dead on target. I wonder how long the families keep up what was taught to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I have actually been watching that show and trying to do some of the stuff she does. The sit down for time out doesn't really work for our girls, but I saw a show where she had a naughty point and a naughty coner. I figure I will try the coner.
    Anonymous

• I   LOVE  Her!!

I would think that most parents...atleast the wise ones would keep to what was taught

to them..

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I've seen some really good ideas on there. I've learned a few things about myself from watching it. Like yelling doesn't get results... I saw one a couple of weeks ago where the kids were mean to each other (one in particular) and it turned out that the kids weren't bad, it was the parents that were the problem. I related to that show more than I'd like to admit. I nitpick my oldest child so much and yes I've tried to choose my battles, to offer as much praise as I do the negative.
    It's a delicate balance and it's so hard to put your feelings aside sometimes and do the right thing.
    I like the show and hope that most of them take the lesson they learned and don't get back in the same rut. I'd like to see a follow up after a year or so on the hardest families to help.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:03 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• There was a mom in my town whose family was on Supernanny; she contacted my station and told us that what you see on the show is nowhere near reality. She was also very very unhappy about damage that the TV crew had done to their home to make it more "accessible."

For her part, she wanted nothing to do with "Supernanny" ever again.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I haven't watched Super Nanny but instead I have watched Nanny 911. I have learned a lot from watching that show. I sometimes babysit for my friends and I have worked with some of the ideas that were shown on there. But about two years ago my son's father decided he wanted to spank him with a wooden paddle a couple days after his girlfriend spanked him with a kitchen spatula. I reported this to child services and I had to attend the same parenting classes that he did even though I had not done anything wrong. Some of the ideas I was taught by them on how to deal with my son, seems to work. One thing that I still use today is when he is being really bad, I turn off the TV, computer, cell phone, house phone and any other thing that could distract me and I give him 5 minutes of my complete attention. It lets them know that you are paying attention and they are more important than anything else going on.
    snack214

Answer by snack214 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2009