Coats and Car Seats

Hello. For anyone that has an answer, I would really appreciate it!! I was told that there was a way that you could put toddlers in their car seats with their coats on... Is this true?

My DD is 2 1/2, and she sits in a Cosco High Back Booster seat, with a 5 point harness. Where we are, its freezing!! It went from being almost 70 degress one night, to 34 degress the next day.

This morning we had to run to the grocery store to pick up a few things, and I had her all bundled up, took her out to the car, and had to take off her coat and wrap her in a blanket after buckling her seat. It was a pain, and if there is a way to avoid doing that when it starts snowing, I would love to know!!

Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• All car seat specialists will tell you that it is significantly safer to take your child out of the coat to buckle. There are times when it is in the negatives, that I do not take my child out of her coat, I just loosen the straps to put her in and then tighten them back up, which pushes most of the air out of her coat, and leaves the harness pretty tight. I currently put my daughter in the car and then put her coat over her arms after she's buckled, but she's three and a half, so she knows how to keep her coat on to keep her warm.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Try this...put her in the seat with the coat on and buckle it as tight as you can...then take her out of it and take off the coat...put her back in the seat without adjusting the belts...if you can fit you hand between her and the belts, you need to take the coat off when in the seat...even though it is a 5-pt harnass, there is a chance that during an accident, she can slip out of the belts with her coat on or even thru the coat and be ejected from the vehicle...I always get in the other side with her and close the door behind us then take her coat off.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• warm up the car before you get her in then close the door and buckle her in
    Anonymous