got any inexpensive birthday activity ideas? greatly appreciated

my daughter is turning 11. having a pirate theme boy/girl birthday to go with the pink pirate plates. i live in Michigan so we may or may not have snow. any ideas for inexpensive birthday items or activities? ideas can be for indoors or outdoors. thank you for your ideas.

momandytai

Asked by momandytai at 1:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 11 years old would be a great age to do a "treasure" hunt. Pick a prize, and hide it, then design a map to help them find it. Include inexpensive compasses as an educational addition. That would go along with the theme. Prize could be movie passes, dinner, or a hat or something small. As expensive or inexpensive as you like. Pair them up, or let them go free style. Make sure to set boundaries though. If it's outdoors keep it to a small area. Indoors, make sure if there are off limits rooms that the kids know about it. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• Another one might be "Pin the Eye Patch on the Pirate" Or....the Hook instead of eyepatch? Perhaps play Pirates of the Carribean the movie while the party's going on for background music..

Have a costume Competition, or a "Pirate Fashion Show"

A dubloon hunt.. buy fake dubloons at a party store (might be able to find them at Walmart since it's halloween..) and hide them like you do easter eggs, offer a prize to whoever finds the most of them?

I think that's it for ideas...GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• That is the prefect age for a small scavenger hunt, either around your house or going to a couple of neighbor's homes. Have 2 teams, maybe boys against the girls, dad can lead he boy's team, mom can lead the girl's. I'd limit it to 2-3 houses, have them request items like a birthday candle, a teabag, a paper shopping bag from your local grocery store, etc. Which ever team collects the items the fastest wins, prizes can be full size candy bars, purchased in multi-packs at Walmart or Target at a resonable price. You could also do a Pictionary or Charades style game, with Pirate themed clues, once again boys against the girls. PM me if you have any other questions, I am a party planner so I am full of ideas! :)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2009