is it okay to not do goody bags?

having a boy/girl birthday party for an 11 year old girl. is it okay not to do goody bags? and do you have ideas for instead of goody bags? i feel like i need to send them home with something

momandytai

Asked by momandytai at 1:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh and I think its totally ok not to do goody bags...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• You can get one nicer item for each kid instead of a bunch of small things and send them home w/that, like a picutre frame or lipgloss or something like that...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• I stole this idea from a friend when my kids got a little older.

She decorated the tables....and surfaces in her house really pretty, then spread fun size candy bars and other goodies randomly all around, sprinkled glittery confetti's across the tables, and made treats a part of the decorations. Since my son's birthday is at halloween, I added wax teeth, and spider rings and things, it looked really cool, and when the kids left, I handed them each a small paper bag to take home treats. they had of course been indulging during the whole party.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• do you have a digital camera and a printer? you could take a pic of each girl at the party and send her home with it. it would make a nice memory!

i personally am against gift bags for many reasons. first off it costs a lot of money and our parties are always on a budget. i have 3 kids so when we go to a party the birthday family spends more $ on my kids gift bags than we do on the present. most of the toys are junk that dont last more than a day. i think it is spoiling kids... they all expect a gift even though it isnt their birthday.

Anonymous

• I give out a CD with pictures from the party on them.... it takes some doing to get it done before the party ends so if I am running behind- I send it with the Thank You note...I have also done a giant pixie stick for each kid to take home or a big candy bar... my kids have been to parties where they sent nothing home and I had no problem with it! You could also buy some inexpensive tshirts at the craft store and have markers for them to sign each others shirts during the party and take home with them!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• your daughter is old enough to help plan her party.... get her involved.
    Anonymous

• Instead of buying something for each child, which in today's economy is really expensive, I tried something new with my 12 year old son's party this year. I had a couple of different games set up to play and the winners of those games got the door prizes that I had bought. And then I had him help make up spending coupons for things he would want to do for his friends. The ones that didn't win the door prizes received the coupons to use. You can print them right off of the computer at home and you can buy just a couple of door prizes instead of the goodie bags. Just a thought.
    snack214

Answer by snack214 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• At that age you really don't need "goody bags", but to mimic an idea from above, I would go to the store and buy various bags of candy, it should all be on sale now that it is near Halloween. Fill different size bowls and vases with the candy and put a spoon or scoop into each one. Provide emply plastic treat bags for each child, you can even print a label for each bag with your child's name and the party date on it. During the party they can go around to each container and fill their bag to take home. Dollar stores have great candy for this!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2009

• I dont do goody bags I think I spend enough time and money feeding and planning activities for the guests. I also add on the invites the gifts are NOT expected but appreciated.
    Anonymous