2 year olds and tantrums

My son is 2 yrs old. In the past week, he has thrown two tantrums that have led into gasping for air, writhing, hysterics. Both were over something he couldn't have, (juice that hadn't been paid for at the store, and crackers we didn't have at the park) in public places. I know tantrums are mostly a call for attention. I do my best to ignore it, to not give the attention he wants. Instead I try to distract him. He doesn't have any patience. I told him he could have the juice as soon as I paid for it, but of course that wasn't fast enough. I told him he could have crackers when we got home (usually I bring something of a snack but we got a last minute call to go to the park with a friend and her kids, whom we haven't seen in a while...). How do I curb the tantrums? Or cope with them when they're happening?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 2:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he used to getting his way or getting it quickly? I wouldn't 'distract' him anymore...that is just postponing the enevitable...he will have to learn patience and by 'distracting' him, he cannot learn that. Give him time out...not because he is in trouble but to help him learn to cool down...You can call it relax time....get down to his level and exlain what the issue is and that you understand why he is mad and once he is calm, he can get up or out. Then get down to his level and talk about it again so he still understands that you are not mad at him and understand his frustration.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• He usually gets his own way because he doesn't normally do things wrong, or ask for things he can't have. He has been a very well behaved and happy kid, until this week. Occasionally he'd ask for something like a cookie or a popcicle at times that he couldn't have them. I'd say no, give a reason, and he'd cry for a minute, stomp his feet, and get over it, now all of a sudden it's an all out kicking and screaming tossing on the floor hitting other kids until he's out of breath and gasping sort of thing.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

• If this is just now happening, I'd say it's a phase...give it a couple of weeks and it should go away...until then, just go on about your business as usual.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2009