Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

curious about some info

i have a cousin with a one year old son with a man she is no longer with. They both live in Texas and I'm not entirely sure
on the situation with the dad. But she is now wanting to get married to another man, which is all fine and dandy. the kicker
is the fiance is active duty in the army. So we are not sure where he will be based. I know in some states if the couple was
not married, mom get custody of the baby. But I do not know Texas laws.I'm curious what she will have to do to be able to
keep her son with her, if there is anything at all.

Answer Question

Asked by angeleyes0306 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2009 in Relationships

Level 6 (114 Credits)
Answers (1)
  • I'm in Texas and our child laws are from what I understand... what's in the best interest of the child. If his name is on the birth certificate then he has as much rights to the child as she does. 

    When we divorce here, we have to get a lawyer for our children so that the childs voice counts too.  If the child isn't old enough to speak for themselves I don't know how it works other than maybe they do an inhome study (a friend of mine had


    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.